Battery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery question

I just picked up a GS 750 to work on. The previous owner said he filled up the battery with distilled water. I'm guessing it was empty before. He said the battery was about 5 years old.

The battery will not charge.

Should I replace the water with battery acid and try that? Or should I just buy a new battery?

Turf it, it sounds like it's toast. Five years old is getting up there for a motorcycle battery, and if it won't hold a charge, well..............
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Really? It wasn't used in that time. Just sat on the bike.

Comment

You should only fill a battery with acid one time: When it's new and hasn't had any fluid in it. After that it's only distilled water for top-ups.

Batteries aren't too expensive compared to the time spent trying to get an old one to hold a charge. Get a new one.

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I guess I'll be buying a new one.

Comment

"Just sat on the bike" is the worst way to treat a battery. There's lots about battery care on the 'net, but suffice to say that a well-maintained battery used daily will last longer than a battery that sits around discharging. In any case, five years would be considered excellent service from the best of batteries. It is time to replace this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by loungeguy69
              You should only fill a battery with acid one time: When it's new and hasn't had any fluid in it. After that it's only distilled water for top-ups.

Batteries aren't too expensive compared to the time spent trying to get an old one to hold a charge. Get a new one.
              I agree.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

yep when i bought the brand new energizer battery it came with a big container of acid and hoses and i had to fill each individual hole with it...after the acid was all gone i charged it for about 2 hours then top it off with distilled water...when the bikes not in use i keep it on and off the charger in the garage

Comment

There is no question at all: it's done. Replace the battery.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

On my 1100E I just picked up a battery at WalMart for 31 bucks. Everlast or Everstart?? anyhow it is a 14L-A2 and fits in my bike. My last battery was bone dry but it still started my bike. I guess to much re-charging sence I run a total loss system.

I also do the same on my SeaDoo's every year, go to WalMart and buy them at half the price of dealers.
                    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
                    X