removal of e clip for jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removal of e clip for jetting

I have been reading the post on jetting, I cant figured out what does raise the clip refers to. How do you remove the e clip? mikuni carbs on 82 gs 1100e

Jet kits come with jet needles that have 5 grooves near the top. Raising the needle (lowering the clip) richens the mixture due to the taper of the needle as the slide is raised. Lean the mixture out by doing the oppisite. If your carbs are stock then the needles more than likely are not adjustable due to emissions regs and have only one groove. Any alteration to the intake or exhaust system will more times than not require an adjustable needle which comes with the jet kits you read about all the time on this site. Removing the e-clip just requires a pair of needle nose pliers and a clean work area or putting a rag over your hands while pulling them off as they have a way of flying off to another universe never to be seen again. When doing any carb work write down where all adjustments were when you started or you'll be introduced to carb tuning the hard way. (As if there WAS an easy way).

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Tate
      Jet kits come with jet needles that have 5 grooves near the top. Raising the needle (lowering the clip) richens the mixture due to the taper of the needle as the slide is raised. Lean the mixture out by doing the oppisite. If your carbs are stock then the needles more than likely are not adjustable due to emissions regs and have only one groove. Any alteration to the intake or exhaust system will more times than not require an adjustable needle which comes with the jet kits you read about all the time on this site. Removing the e-clip just requires a pair of needle nose pliers and a clean work area or putting a rag over your hands while pulling them off as they have a way of flying off to another universe never to be seen again. When doing any carb work write down where all adjustments were when you started or you'll be introduced to carb tuning the hard way. (As if there WAS an easy way).
      Good advice.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

A long time go, we used to just shim the needles, are there problems with this approach?

Derrick

Comment

Originally posted by DerrickC
          A long time go, we used to just shim the needles, are there problems with this approach?

Derrick
          Many people still do. Some say they have good results, others not.
          I never tried shimming.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by DerrickC

Derrick
            I have shimmed my needles many times but the method only allows you to move the needle a little. Another trick when richening the mid range is to file down the plaastic spacer that is next to the e clip. If you file too much you can always add spacer washers easily.

Comment

Very small but long reach needle nose pliers
              1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
              1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
              1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
              1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
              01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
              X