• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulsing feeling in front brake lever

1982 GS1100EZ
    braided steel brake lines
    anti-dive units bypassed
    system completly cleaned and new brake fluid.

These changes have greatly improved braking, but things are still not up to the power of this bike. Most notably, I get a "pulsing" feeling in the front brake lever under heavy braking. I can lock up the wheel with enough pressure, but the pulsing does not inspire confidence.

I've been toying with the idea of taking the braking to the next level, but any input as to what would cause this pulsing would point me into where to make the next improvements.

Warped rotors, pads, calipers, master cylinder, etc-

Thanks....

brakes

Warped rotors more than likely, could also be bad wheel bearings or front wheel not mounted right on the forks, do a runout check on the rotors then the wheel rim.

Comment

I would think rotors, Also, the braided steel lines will make it feel a lot worse than it would feel with stock lines. Many brake shops don't want to work on bike rotors, but I found a local machine shop very willing to help with mine.

Comment

I'd guess warped rotors too. I don't know about your model, but on my '79 1000, the service wear limit is only .02" less than when new. This leaves very little to be turned on a lathe, if possible at all.
        There's a chance your fork legs may not be parallel. Try loosening the fender, as it acts as a brace, and loosen the axle clamps and axle nut just finger tight. Pump the forks up and down several times, carefully place the bike on the centerstand, and re-torque everything evenly. Make sure the axle clamps are uniformly re-tightened.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
          I'd guess warped rotors too. I don't know about your model, but on my '79 1000, the service wear limit is only .02" less than when new. This leaves very little to be turned on a lathe, if possible at all.
          There's a chance your fork legs may not be parallel. Try loosening the fender, as it acts as a brace, and loosen the axle clamps and axle nut just finger tight. Pump the forks up and down several times, carefully place the bike on the centerstand, and re-torque everything evenly. Make sure the axle clamps are uniformly re-tightened.
          Thanks to all on the advise. I'll give the alignment a go, but wouldn't I feel that in other ways. I've got no fron end wobble or instability of any sorts, just the pulsing.

I also realized after reading the comments that I should have mentioned that I have a Telefix fork brace on, but I have tried re-aliging that already.

P.S. Any experience with EBC floating rotors?

Comment

Easy check, just get the front wheel off the ground and use a pencil laying on a block and point it towards the rim, almost touching then rotate the wheel and see how much it deflects then do the same on the rotors to see where it's not true.
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
            X