Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooler install questions.

So I won this off e-bay:

I'm sure it's not gonna have any paperwork. How do I install this thing? Any idea how much more oil I am gonna have to run? What kind of bolts do I need to install it?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Jethro,

I've got an article relating to oil-cooler installation on my website at http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/f...oil-cooler.htm

I think that some parts of the article are in need of minor revision but overall it will answer some of your questions.

Regarding extra oil volume, you could easily calculate this by filling the oil cooler and hoses with oil, and seeing what volume the setup takes, and then adding this volume to your crankcases. But I think you will find that it is three-fifths of stuff-all, and probably not worth worrying about.

Regarding bolts for attaching the hoses, any hydraulic shop or whatever should be able to supply you with the gear.

What GS model are you attaching the cooler to -- one of your 1100s?

Mike.

Comment

Yeah, it's going on the 83. It is set up for an oil cooler with guides for the lines and everything.
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Jethro - I did exactly what you want to do last weekend. In addition to the cooler (from a 1150) I also ordered an oil filter cover, banjo bolts (2) and crush washers for an 1150. I got all this stuff from Ron Ayers. Let me now if you want the part #'s The hardest part for me was mounting the cooler to the frame. I wound up using a couple of metal arms that I made up to fasten the cooler to bolts used for the horns. My exhaust gave me enough clearance so fitting the lines to the ports on either side of the filter cover wasnt' too much of a problem. I wound up routing the lines behind that one crossmember that links both of the downtubes. This took a little bit of bending of the botom oil lines. I did this by bolting the lines to the block and then carefully prying them until they fit correctly. I also had to loosen the line connections at the cooler to get the lines to run behind this crossmember. Be careful to maintain clearance from the middle exhasut tubes. As far as oil goes, I added to the top of the sight glass and then about 50-100ml more. I think it wound up being around 4.5qts but I'd have to check. Anyway, I've put about 150 miles on it and so far so good. It's dropped my oil temps considerably - it's running at around 170 in 60 degree temps after 20 minutes of highway riding, about 30-40 degrees less than what it used to. I did have to go back and tighten some of the joints but other than that no problems (yet).

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Did your oil cooler look like the one in the picture above? I've been told by the seller that it should bolt right up to the existing horn mounts.
          Currently bikeless

Comment

cooler

FLUSH IT OUT REAL GOOD, you dont know if the motor it was on may have done the gernade thing and be full of metal particals

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              Jeff,

Did your oil cooler look like the one in the picture above? I've been told by the seller that it should bolt right up to the existing horn mounts.
              It looks exactly like the one I got. Mine was from an 1150. Neither the mounting holes on the cooler itself or the backplate matched my horn mounting holes.

Comment

Damn. I was hoping it would mount right on.
                Currently bikeless

Comment

I think it looks like the one I have Geoff. I'll go down to the basement and post a pic. If it is the same they should mount to the horn holes. Place the oil cooler up to the frame and see if the holes even line up.
                  Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                  2000 Kawasaki Concours
                  Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
                  X