GS450L Max rear tire width ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450L Max rear tire width ...

I've been looking for this in the forums but I have had no success on it...

for those GS450 owners out there:

What is the max tire width I can run in my stock rear rim (mag wheel) for a GS450L???

It's easy to see that there is very little space to play with, specially between the tire and the chain and chain cover... But I will be very happy if I can put a bigger tire out there, just for look...

Any help?

Thanks!!

I personally would stick with the stock tire (120 / 90 - 16). I went through this delima with my bike that is identical to yours back in Oct/Nov and here is that thread below. I came to the conclusion that these bikes were designed with the 120 in mind and that is what I will use. I am loving my CS HiMaxx 907 rear tire right now! She handles great in dry and wet (rain and snow) conditions and the price is good. Read this over then let us know what you think.

Comment

Ive got a 17" Mag on the rear, running a 120/90-17 Cheng Shin, and I dont think I could fit any more rubber between the front of my swing arm.

If yours is anything like mine, you should stay stock.

Comment

Bigger tire won't really give you anything except grief. I had a larger rear tire on my 650G and went back to stock. I like the handling better.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Well, that's exactly the kind of advise I wanted

Thank you all for enlighten me... Now I'm looking for two good stock size tires... I'll see what is available locally to fit my bike...

Thanks a lot!!

Comment

Now I'm a little confused... I was searching the Web for info about tires and rims and I found this page http://www.motorcycledreamshop.com/suzukifitment.html wich sais that for the GS450L 80-87 the recomended tire sizes are 110/80/19 for the front and 140/70/16 for the rear...

I really doubt that a 140 will clear the chain guard on my bike without modifications...

What to do... what to do... :roll:

Comment

A 140 isn't even stock size for my 1100. 130/70 17 is the stock size for my 1100. I have upon many occasions put a 140/70 17 in there. The larger tire feels a little different because is seems to absorb more shock, but it does affect the handling in a negative way. I always try to stick with the stock sizes- consult a manual to ensure you get the right sizes. Tire barns don't always have the right information.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Well I've made my final decision about wich tire sizes I'll be using... stock sizes...

Now I'm out to look for those good tires I want!

Thank you all!!

Comment

Working...
                X