Tappet Depressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tappet Depressor

I cant seem to find a tappet depressor tool for a reasonable price (suzuki charges $240 cdn.!!!)

Does anyone have any links for something cheaper? The next one down, is still around 50-60 dollars american, before S&H.

Any help would be appreciated

I got one from sears, and I did make it work. It's designed for a chevy V8 with the valves sticking out of the head, but I was able to use a piece of pipe to press on the spring, and a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the keepers.

Comment

My Clymer's also lists Rocky Cycle Co. part number 15-0981, but a quick Google search turned up nothing so I don't know if they still exist.

Lynn, thanks for the JCW link; I always forget about them.

Del

Comment

Tappe Depressor tool

I had taken a large flat washer, 3 inches in outside diameter, drew a half moon shape on one side starting at an outside point of the washer. Then had cut the washer with a fine saw, or hack saw following the curved line into the center of the washer to the middle hole. Then cut straight across to the other side. I used a dremel tool grinding stone to smooth the curve of the washer.

I held the washer with vice grips under and on the side of the cam and rotated the engine until the shim was free and could gently pry it out.

If you have the time and patience go a head and try it, I didnt want to wait a week for the tool so i made one.

Regards,

Jay

Comment

I just did this for another GSR member, but if you send me a check for $30 to cover the cost of my tool, I will send you the tool to use. When you're finished, ship it back, and I'll rip up the check.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
          X