Cold Start Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Start Smoke

Hi every body,ive got a problem with my GS1000E when its started from cold it smokes realy badly for a couple of minutes then runs as normal with no smoke at all ive been told that it is the valve stem seals that have gone.
    Has any one else had this problem and is it big job to do ?
    Or could it be some thing else ?
    Apart from this she runs fine and dosent use excess oil and has lost no power.
    Trev

Next time you warm it up take a compression reading just to make sure the rings are in decent shape; it sounds exactly like the problem my bike had. I'm in the process of changing the valve seals now, you do have to remove the cylinder head to replace the seals but on the upside it will give you a chance to do some exhaust port polishing and lap the valves!
    Depends on how you look at it

Comment

White Smoke on a cold day is normal, blue Smoke or Black is another matter. What color do you have and what do all the spark plugs look like?
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

It does sound like the seals. What oil are you using? If you're using 10/40 and go up to 20/50, you may buy a little more time if you're in no hurry to replace the seals.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I should have told you this in my last post but when my bike started smoking a friend told me to take the exhaust header off and look inside the exhaust ports, when I did I could see oil leaking down a couple of valves which confirmed it was bad seals.

Comment

SOmething that may help is to park it on the centerstand

Comment

Colud just be a valve adjustment, right?
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                Could just be a valve adjustment, right?
                I don't see how really, why do you think so?

Comment

Its blue smoke so its got to be oil burning,it seemed to get worse once I changed the oil at the weekend,its got loads of power and the plugs arnt oiled up so im hoping its nothing bad wrong with her.
                  Trev

Comment

Exhaust side valve guides. If the plugs are clean then the intake guides and rings are probably OK. You might be able to sneak new seals into the exhaust guides without removing the head, depending on how they are sealed. If they are sealed by close tolerances to the valve stem then machining is needed. Rubber seals on top might be able to be replaced. Ask Keith Krause, he has one and knows all about those engines
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The head HAS to come off! The frame is in the way for #2&3 cyl

Comment

Working...
                      X