More grunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More grunt

Hello, I have a 1984 GS1100GK set up with a sidecar and am very happy with it, but would like abit more grunt. I am thinking of a Wiseco 1170 kit.Would the crank need to be welded because of the rise in compression ratio and would the diff. tolarate the extra power. Also there is an oil leak from the crank behind ignition plate. Is this oil seal replaceable without major stripdown? I really like this website and have obtained lots of useful information. Thanks. Regards Paul

I would try and find another 1100 motor and swap it out. People on this site have and sell such packages. At least you would be able to ride your bike while you rebuilt another engine.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Re: More grunt

Originally posted by camfix4hele
      Hello, I have a 1984 GS1100GK set up with a sidecar and am very happy with it, but would like abit more grunt.
      Do you know what the cam timing is set at? If not, have it checked. Bikes can come with factory cam timing set over a wide range. Yours could be set at 110 or? If you set the cam timing at 104-106, you'll get more low/midrange power and a wider powerband.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Another thing you can check is the differential The common one is 3.1 ratio? some of the GK's used a 2.9, (your 84 probably has the 2.9) so if you used the 3.1 you could get alot more grunt to go with the sidecar. If you are going with a big bore kit don't go to high on the compression with the heavy load.
        The crank seal behind the ign is easy to replace, if you have a slide hammer ? thread the screw end into the seal & pull it out, drive a new seal in - make sure to plt a little grease on the seal lip & a llight coating of gasket sealer on the outside circumference

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          Another thing you can check is the differential The common one is 3.1 ratio? some of the GK's used a 2.9, (your 84 probably has the 2.9) so if you used the 3.1 you could get alot more grunt to go with the sidecar. If you are going with a big bore kit don't go to high on the compression with the heavy load.
          The crank seal behind the ign is easy to replace, if you have a slide hammer ? thread the screw end into the seal & pull it out, drive a new seal in - make sure to plt a little grease on the seal lip & a llight coating of gasket sealer on the outside circumference
          Great idea and good point. You want the most bang for the buck and least amount of wrenching, a 6% change in gearing might give you what your looking for without stressing everthing out.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

More grunt- again

Thanks to all who replied,great forum. I,m fairly sure the diff. ratio is 3.1 and I,m running 15in. wheels which helps gearing. To Keith, Could you explain more about cam timing, please. Is 104-106 degrees BTDC and which cam - exhaust or inlet? Regards Paul

Comment

I had my cam timing (both intake and exhaust) set at 106 degrees. This is considered a good compromise between top end HP and low/midrange torque. This will also give you the widest powerband and best gas mileage. I've never done this to my bike personally. I had it done by Vance & Hines while they rebuilt my engine. I got the suggestion from a tech article in Motorcyclist magazine. I've since read/heard many others agree.
              According to the article, the older GS's have a semi spherical shape to their combustion chambers, which favors this cam timing choice. 102-104 degrees will provide a bit more low end power still, though at a small sacrifice of top end power. I'm real happy with the way my cam timing compliments the mod's I've had done. My bike pulls hard right off idle and I don't really notice much loss of top speed.
              But you have to have yours checked first. Who knows, your cams may be set very close to that by chance. If yours happen to be set at 108 or higher, you may want to have it done. I can't tell you by seat of the pants knowledge how much just a cam timing mod will improve your situation. Bikes that I've ridden had other mod's done at the same time, so it's hard to say. I just know that lower cam timing numbers equal better torque and a wider powerband, higher numbers equal more top end horsepower.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Acording to the parts book your 84 GK came with the 2.9 gear so unless it has been changed already ??

Comment

Working...
                X