first break down. HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first break down. HELP!!

First time out today (well for more than a mile or two) on my new used '81 450L(8100 miles). Running great, shifting fine, more power than I expected from a little 450. I'm real happy until...I'm slowing down and the bike cuts off. Dead. I see smoke coming from the engine...ah crap! Look closer and it's a very heavy gauge red wire from the battery (+ terminal of course) to the thingamagig under the left side panel smoking...the plastic is melting and the wire is fried. Also connected to the thingamagig is another wire with the main fuse (15 amp). The fuse is blown. Call AAA, call the wife for a ride (who's not happy about the purchase in the first place, laughs at me for about five minutes and comes to pick me up). I decided to at least try to fix it before I pay the shop to so its in my garage. I know I should check all those wires for loose grounds, frayed sections and bad connections, and I'll need to replace the fried heavy red wire and the 15 amp fuse. Anything else I should be looking for? I'm obviously not a mechanic but I'm willing to give it a shot. Thanks in advance!!!

Well, buy a voltmeter if you don't already have one and start looking for a really dead short. If it torched the wire from the battery it is probably in the charging circuit, not the regular wiring for the lights and all that. A Wiring diagram found in a Clymers book would be a big help.

Remove the battery and connect the voltmeter ( set to read Low Ohms) red wire to the + wire ( whats left of it) and the black wire to the frame. Turn on the Key and look for a dead short. You may have to remove things and watch the meter as you go for a jump or change. It could be the regulator rectifier or even the stator, not an uncommon problem on Suzukis. But I would look for a welded wire touching the frame somewhere.

The regulator can be unplugged, so if there is a short unplug the regulator and see what happens.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

If you have a meter that beeps with continuity, that would be even better.

Naturally, start at the heavy guage wire that attaches to the "thingamagig" under the cover. One end of this wire connects to your battery, and the other end is unfused to your starter relay (the thingamagig). Under the same connector is a smaller red wire going to your fuse. Something in there touched a bare part of the frame. That fuse should be your only one, and since it did its job, your electrics should be fine after you replace it.
      However, I would check the ground side... Apparently you have a good ground to the frame, but should you loose it, you will have many more problems.

Comment

It could also be an internal short in the starter solenoid, although that is not likely. If you can take a picture of it with a dig camera perhaps we can see what is going on

Comment

I did find a wire off the starter relay that may have been the culprit. A hot wire with the plastic sliding cover for it just short of covering it entirely. I did pull out and put back in the battery the other day so that may have moved that wire just so as to touch the exposed piece to the frame...maybe. If that was the case would it take a little bit of riding to cause the problem or would it have been evident write away? Or maybe it giggled into touching the frame while riding? Anyway I gave the exposed bit of wire a thorough wrapping with electrical tape. I'll replace the fuse and the heavy gauge red wire too tomorrow. Didn't see any other wires that look suspect. Hopefully that's it. Thanks for the input, I'll let you know what happens...

Comment

You may have already solved your problem with the tape, but there is no question of a serious short. Even if the solenoid dies, it does not usually short out....it just dies. If it locks in the closed position, it keeps the starter engaged and you would know it.

Other than that, a short is about the only way you can fry that wire.

As already said, you probably did not do major harm to your charging system, as the fuse blew. Use the multimeter and check your entire system out.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

So today I replaced the fuse, replaced the fried wire (with a heavier gauge wire...Is that OK? I didn't have the old one with me at the store so I guessed at the gauge and I was way off) and checked again for any exposed hot wires that may have touched the frame...couldn't find any more. There are two ground wires coming off the battery...one to the engine and one to the frame. The frame ground was loose, the screw holding it on the frame was not tight at all. Tight now. Didn't do the volt meter test. Moment of truth...she starts right up. I let her idle and rev the engine some for about 10 minutes...no problems. Replaced wire not hot or anything. All electronics work. Didn't have time to ride her today, plus it's friggin' cold. What do you guys think, is she safe to travel (with a cell phone of course)?

Comment

Cell phone definately. But I think you licked it. Heavier wire is OK as long as you can get terminals onto the wire that screw onto the bike.

Things move around a lot when your rolling, more than cars they jiggle everything. Use Tie wraps to keep wires immobilized against the frame and make sure all exposed connectors are either covered with a sleeve or use silicon sealant to cover them. Think car wash proof.

Make sure your battery is FIRM in the battery case and that the drain tube is connected. It is heavy and will slide around when you drop it down to the sidestand at 90 MPH in a turn........

Comment

I think you earned yourself an A+ for troubleshooting.
                  1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                  1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                  1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                  1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                  01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I agree. Good job going with the thicker wire. When it comes to wire, the thicker the better (within reason).

Comment

Working...
                    X