Protective Fuel Tank Clearcoating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protective Fuel Tank Clearcoating

I've paionted my byke (GS1100 1981) with Acrylic Lacquer and found out later that this kind of paint can be stained by gas. A friend told me to put a two component clearcoat over it, but I don't know what kind of product won't damage the lacquer. Can somebody help?
    Tanks

Re: Protective Fuel Tank Clearcoating

You can use PPG Concept clearcoat. That is comprised of a base (the clearcoat), a catalyst (DCX61) and a reducer (DT885).

You can also use Dupont Imron 500S clear base, reducer 8485 with catalyst 192S.

There are many others that can also be used. These two and every other one I know of requires the use of a respirator and they must be sprayed if you want a nice finish For a one time thing, you're better off to take your tank to an auto body shop and have them spray it for you. The paints are toxic and inhalation can be lethal.

Earl

Originally posted by john33157
    I've paionted my byke (GS1100 1981) with Acrylic Lacquer and found out later that this kind of paint can be stained by gas. A friend told me to put a two component clearcoat over it, but I don't know what kind of product won't damage the lacquer. Can somebody help?
    Tanks
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by john33157
      Tanks
      I rather like your sign-off "Tanks".

Earl is the best source for such information on this forum, and he has given you most of what to do, but you did not identify what specific paint you used, so I suspect Earl may have overlooked one part: compatability.

Some paints, while apparently similar, chemically disagree with each other when applied, sometimes with unexpected results.

Two-part finish coats are much more durable than mono-coat sprays, which, in my experience, are susceptible to gasoline, as you mentioned.

For compatability reasons, it is usually best to stick with one manufacturer for base/paint/clearcoat, but even then there could be a problem if you do not check what the manufacturer has to say about its various products.

It appears that you have already completed your base primer and colour applications, so you should check for two-part fuelproof clearcoat options from the same manufacturer.

Follow all instructions, and pay very, very, close attention to suggestions regarding personal ventilation when applying these materials.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Generally, the multi part clearcoat and paint systems are alcohol base. They apply well over common lacquer and any other multi part catalyzed paint system. There are incompatible with oil base paint or oil contamination as slight as a fingerprint. Duplicolor spray can paints can be clearcoated with multi part paints. However, one should spray two or three light coats of clear to seal the surface before wetting out a coat. A heavy coat can dissolve the prior coat of a different type paint. I would not use a multi part clear coat over an oil based spray can paint job for a couple of reasons. 1. A barrier coat would be needed to isolate the different paint bases. 2. The oil base, the barrier coat, and the multi part clear will all have different degress of elasticity. Oil base dries fairly soft and multi part clear dries hard. On a hot or cold day, the oil base will change dimension much more. Good way to achieve cranking, peeling paint. :-)

There is another drawback to clearcoating a paint that is not impervious to gas. If the clear is scratched through, the gas reaches and attacks the color coat. Gas can wick underneath creating soft bubbles and delamination of the paint layers.

Earl

[quote="argonsagas"] you did not identify what specific paint you used, so I suspect Earl may have overlooked one part: compatability.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
        X