KEYS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KEYS

I just got a 83 gs750e off ebay for $150, it needs a lot of work but i bought it intending it to be a project. The problem is i dont have the keys. I know i need a key for the ignition, gas tank, seat release, and helmet holders. I was wondering if anybody knew if you could send suzuki your vin number and proof that you own it and they would send you the keys for it. I dont know if they stopped doing it since its age or if they ever did. if anybody knows something about this pm me or reply. Thanks --Matt

Matt,

I don't know about the suzuki route, but a locksmith could do it for you with no problems. Take the gas tank lock with you to the smith and it should be cheaper thatn having the smith come to your bike.

I've also been told that there weren't all that many key combos in those days. You might be able to find a set that matches at the salvage yard.

On a side note, not too long ago I was at a store and heard my alarm on my Jeep going off. I went out to find that some lady stuck her key in the door and it opened. 8O She mistook my jeep for hers parked four stalls down.

good luck!
    Jon
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

I maybe wrong on this route, if so I'm sure someone will correct me.
      But I think you can take the number that is stamped on the ignition cylinder to a Suzuki shop/locksmith and they can make the duplicate from that.
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

when i bought my 85 700es off ebay they forgot to send me the keys so i had a locksmith come out and make new ones $50 for 2 new keys and he came to my house!

Comment

Best bet is to remove the ign lock or the seat lock . Look for a 3 diget # the locksmith can cut a key from that. Failing that take the ign to the locksmith & have a key made from the lock

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            Best bet is to remove the ign lock or the seat lock . Look for a 3 diget # the locksmith can cut a key from that. Failing that take the ign to the locksmith & have a key made from the lock
            The number is all the locksmith needs to make a key, although some locksmiths may require proof of ownership of the vehicle. I recently had keys made from the numbers for my '83 GS and a '74 Yamaha RD. I think the cost was around $20.

Comment

i found the 3 digits on the helmet lock.

I lost the only key I've had (the original key) for about 1 year. I'm pretty bad with misplacing things and am surprised I've not lost it before.

It's gonna cost me under 20 bucks (cdn) to get 2 keys made. 8O

Comment

Awesome, so key lock code locations are:

1. Helmet lock
                2. Ignition cylinder
                3. Gas tank lock
                4. Seat lock

Kewl,
                Dm of mD

Comment

jonr, sounds like a gig I pulled in college! borrowed a buddies jeep cherokee to run home and grab stuff, got home, grabbed stuff, went back to the jeep and the key didn't work. no biggie, fellow lived at the beach so his locks had sand in them and took some jiggling sometimes. jiggle, jiggle, jiggle... like 10 minutes later the lock finally pops open, i jump in and go to start it, the alarm starts going off!!! 8O

ran upstairs and called him up "Chris, how do I turn off your car alarm??"

Chris "you dumba$$, I don't have a car alarm!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
                    I maybe wrong on this route, if so I'm sure someone will correct me.
                    But I think you can take the number that is stamped on the ignition cylinder to a Suzuki shop/locksmith and they can make the duplicate from that.

That is correct. I have done it already.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard
                      jonr, sounds like a gig I pulled in college! borrowed a buddies jeep cherokee to run home and grab stuff, got home, grabbed stuff, went back to the jeep and the key didn't work. no biggie, fellow lived at the beach so his locks had sand in them and took some jiggling sometimes. jiggle, jiggle, jiggle... like 10 minutes later the lock finally pops open, i jump in and go to start it, the alarm starts going off!!! 8O

ran upstairs and called him up "Chris, how do I turn off your car alarm??"

Chris "you dumba$$, I don't have a car alarm!!!"
                      Hahahahah!!!

Dm of mD

Comment

I would suggest taking more than just the gas tank to the locksmith. I just went through this a week ago, and they cannot make a key just from the gas tank or seat lock. The locksmith told me that the gas cap has 4 tumblers, the seat lock has an additional 3, and the ignition is all of them. So if you can remove your ignition and bring it, they can make one (mine cost me $30 for the first one and $5 for a duplicate). Otherwise, take the locksmith both your seat lock and your gas tank.

Comment

Working...
                        X