cracked windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cracked windshield

I have a cracked windshield. It is one that does not have a metal frame or any sort of metal support. When the windshield is un broken, it is bolted to a fairing along the base of the windshield. The crack is a piece that actually broke off. I have the item bolted back on the fairing because both pieces have enough bolts to hold them on securely.

What i need to know is what product can i use to glue the pieces together. I want to do it while the windshield is mounted because if i tried to do it with the shield off i would get it out of line. The 2 pieces are not 100% meshed. I was hoping for a recommendation for a product that does not run easily while dying.
    The distance between the 2 pieces is a couple of thousands. I don't mind seeing the glue or whatever. I am mainly interested in safety((the pieces staying on the fairing at 75 mph.
    Any ideas please???
    I also intend to use a couple of nut, bolt nd washer setups till i get a new windshield.

If there is a crack where it broke, use a small drill, the smaller the better
    and drill at the edge of the crack. This should keep it from spreading.

Another idea is to replace it.
    I cracked the windshield on my S a few years ago.
    I got a replacement from Gustafson, fits great, no problems.
    He offers different tints and can make one for just about any bike.

Industry leader in aftermarket and custom motorcycle windscreens. We will bring your windshield ideas to life!
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Hawasaki wants $425 for a new windshield. Yje recomended site is askinf $129 plus shipping. A lot better.
      I still want to glue it first because i may just buy some lexan and make one.

Comment

LEXAN works well. Stick with the brand name. It is quite a bit stronger than some other clear plastics, does not become brittle, and does not discolour.

I have not tried making a 'shield for your bike, but for the units on a GK or Windjammer fairing it is easy to do.

On my GK, with 1/8 thickness LEXAN, I get no flex at all, at any speed.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks ron. i will definitely use lexan. Right now i am interested in a clear epoxy of some sort i think.

Comment

Look Here:
            This website is for sale! science-projects.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, science-projects.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Google: "Plexiglas joint"

SV

Comment

Originally posted by sv650
              Look Here:
              This website is for sale! science-projects.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, science-projects.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Google: "Plexiglas joint"

SV
              Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
              X