Brake pads again and Rear master cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pads again and Rear master cylinder

So I'm perusing Ebay and I see a bunch of "NOS" front brake pad sets for my 77 gs750 for like 9-10 bucks. On Dennis Kirk or Cycle Recycle i see nothing below $20. Are these Ebay pads *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$e or are they a good deal?

Also, just bought this bike two weeks ago. It had been sitting for quite some time. I pushed down on the rear Brakes pedal and heard a nasty grinding sound and now i get no pressure on the rear brakes. I know i cranked all the gook in the piston. I can see air puming into the rear resevoir now when working the pedal. Question is will a rear cylinder rebuild kit fix this with a good cleaning of the cylinder or might i need a new rear master cyclinder also?

Thanks

Craig

So I'm perusing Ebay and I see a bunch of "NOS" front brake pad sets for my 77 gs750 for like 9-10 bucks. On Dennis Kirk or Cycle Recycle i see nothing below $20. Are these Ebay pads #### or are they a good deal?
    I say good deal. NOS means New Old Stock, which is stuff that has been sitting on a dealer's shelf for a while. The low prices are just someone trying to move their stock and get a buck or two from it. As far as I know, brake pads have no real shelf life issues, so if they are still sealed in the OEM package they should be OK.

I bought two sets of pads a while ago for $10USD total and I am not at all concerned about using them.

Mark

Comment

+1 on ebay thats where I get my brake pads, Their are rebuild kits for the rear master, I would take it appart first & examine it before ordering a repair kit. I have a 77GS750 also the brake system was gumed up from sitting 20 years, ended up getting another master from ebay & also replacing the front rubber brake hose - could not get any fluid thru it.

Comment

Brake pads again & rear master cylinder

Mine did same thing after sitting for 10yrs.I took master cylinder apart & cleaned it.Also found brake line was plugged-cleaned that out w/a wire & compressed air.Then discovered one caliper piston was frozen up.Managed to free that up w/o taking caliper apart by compressing piston w/c- clamp several times.Then bleed system until fluid ran clean.Its going on 4yrs. now w/no problems.If you don't mind the work involved its cheaper(free)than buying parts.Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X