Tapping noise at top of engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tapping noise at top of engine

I have a 83GS550es with about 22k. It runs ok but It is making a nasty tapping noise when I get on the gas. the noise is definatly comin from the top of the engine on the 1 or 2 cyl side. It sounds like a metal on metal sound, its not as bad when the bike is just idling infact I bearly here it. The only thing I can think of was a friend (who thought he new bikes) messed with my cam chain tightener nob with the bike running. since then I reset it and the made sure the cams were lined up. still the bike makes a bad tapping noise under load. what might this be thanks

Sounds like a bad rod and the sound you hear is the piston smacking the the head.

Go ahead and remove the valve cover and check springs, cam chain, timing, retainers, keepers, shims and buckets. If eveything looks good then I'd pull the head.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

If the piston is smackin the head wouldn't that quickly destroy my valves making the bike very slow and why would it get louder when I'm on the gas?

Comment

I had a "Tapping" noise after the first time I adjusted my valve tappet clearance. I barely heard it at idle, but was more pronounced when I took it around the block. After I figured out my mistake and re-adjusted - then it was gone.

You could say it was more of a Ticking noise rather than a Tap.

If it IS a definate TAP, then see above.

Comment

Working...
        X