Help 1978GS550E Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help 1978GS550E Carbs

I have a 1978 GS550EC and there were no carbs on the bike. I found a set of carbs off a 1981 gs550 and i was wondering if they were going to fit on my bike. aslo i might be able to get my hands on a set off a 77 gs550 . What would be a good price to offer the seller. Any other possible places that i might be able to get a set of carbs??

your best bet would be to go with the set off the 77 the comperssion ratios is almost identical to the 78 a good price it varys i just bought a set for my buddys 81 gs550 for 190.00 so its all in how bad you want them

Comment

Your '78 uses 22mm VM carbs. The '77 carbs you mentioned should work but there may be small jetting changes. The CV carbs, on '80 and newer models, will not bolt up to your head.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Are you sure? The CV carbs bolt to the same boots I thought. Unless you're talking the 83+ two carb setups...
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

The CV carbs require larger manifolds than the VM's. VM's were used on most GS's from '76 thru '79.
          If he did get the CV carbs on, I think the jetting would be way off anyway.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

thanks keith you have been realy helpfull.

Comment

is there any other place that i might be able to find carbs that will work on the 1987 GS550EC

Comment

Originally posted by MoleMan823
                is there any other place that i might be able to find carbs that will work on the 1987 GS550EC
                You mean the '78, correct? You can try E-bay and salvage yards. Be sure to ask questions regarding possible stripped pilot and air screws, which can render the carbs useless. Then there's the jetting and general condition. It's hard to buy used carbs with confidence.
                You can also try other members here who would tend to be more honest and knowledgeable about the carbs they're selling you. Post your request in the "parts wanted" section.You may also try a member here named "wiredgeorge". He rebuilds owners carbs and sells rebuilts too. He seems to have plenty of knowledge and would be a good bet to supply you with some VM22mm carbs that would have the jetting to work on your '78. I think his rebuilds were $200 last I read? This is actually a good price if the carbs come to you the way he says they will.
                Buying from E-bay, etc, can work, but it's a gamble.

Comment

Working...
                X