Refreshing the head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refreshing the head

In a recent post someone mentioned that they were having excessive smoke on start up. My bike does the same, and while it does stop when hot, I do seem to burn a small amount of oil (maybe 1/4 qt. over 300 miles or so). I also recently had my exhaust off and had a look in the ports. Some of the valve stems had a lot of build up on them and look nasty. So I'm thinking of re-working the whole head, just because now is the time. I don't want to have to deal with this come riding season.

So the question here is what does it take to refresh the head on my bike? What can I do myself and what has to be done by a shop? Can I replace the valve seals myself (skill not a problem, I can figure most things out if I take my time). How much is this gonna cost me? I'm willing to buy any tools I need, in fact I'm getting a spring compressor tonight so I can practice on my 81 1100 head. I'm gonna start pulling it apart to fool around with and learn.

My bike has about 17k miles on it and runs great. Compression tested at a constant 180 for all 4 cyls just a few months ago.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

you can do the valve seals after you pull the springs, they're like $4 apiece I think, I made a spring compressor out of an 8" c-clamp and a stamped steel EMT coupling, with a notch cut in it to remove the keepers... you can hand lap the valves and seats, but if the seats, guides or valves need replaced, a machine shop will be in order

Comment

well the spring compressor is key, you will need the one that looks like a C clamp as the kind that grab the spring from the sides wont work due to the springs sitting in recesses.
      you will also need long, thin needle nose pliers for fishing out the valve keepers.
      the one tip I can offer is to get a big truck rubber mudflap to set the head on, it will protect the head from maring, or scratches to the mating surface.

only having 17K miles on it, the valve guides should be ok
      take a piece of cardboard and draw out the location of everything so you can place the assorted parts especialy the valves so you can get them back in the same place they came from.

you might also go ahead and pick up a valve laping tool and laping compound.

Comment

That spring compressor looks like it would do the job! I was going to go to Sears and see what they have, lhanscom posted a spring compressor they sell for $20 that he was able to make work, but if they don't have one, I'll do something like you did.

How does one go about getting the valve seals out? The shop manual shows a valve seal tool that just looks like a purpose made drift. Do I need one of these to pull the valve seals out? How about pressing them back in?
        Currently bikeless
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

They can be pulled off with your fingers, they're just little rubber cups that go over the top of the valve guides, assembly is the same...fingers will work, oil them well before assembly,be careful when sliding the valve stem thru

Comment

So you think that if I just clean them up the valve stems will stay cleaner? Could my guides need replacing?
            Currently bikeless

Comment

usually the seals are rotted and need replacing, you'll need to check end-play (wobble) on the valve stems to determine if the guides need replacing or not, you'll need a dial guage and some kind of fixture to hold the guage to check this...

Comment

the "glop" you will find in the intake valve stems is not oil, but detergent!
                the detergent used in gas to keep injectors clean turns to a tar like substance when it hits the hot intake valve.
                soaking them in a good carb cleaner will loosen it and make cleaning them much easyer.

Comment

The masochistic side of me that likes work-intensive preventive maintenance wants to service the head on my 81 GK. I could live without cleaning valves and seats and all, but I'd definitely like to check my valve clearances. And to relate this to this thread, once one does work on the valves and seats and all, the valve clearances will change.

So while checking clearances and servicing heads is great stuff, I don't do any of it because I am stumped on how to get shims at a reasonable price. What are you guys doing for shims?

And don't worry, I know - tappy valves are happy valves!

Comment

Glad I don't have to deal any of those shims!
                    Currently bikeless

Comment

Up until recently my method of dealing with this type of thing has been sure fire. I just paid someone else to do it. But I am rethinking that in light of recent dealings so I will be watching this thread Jethro. Please be sure to let us know what works for you when you figure out what that is

I only have three payments left on my Turbo and when I get it, I am planing on doing all the work I can myself.

Comment

Hoomgar Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:33 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up until recently my method of dealing with this type of thing has been sure fire. I just paid someone else to do it.
                        Yeah, unfortunately Hoomie, I need my bike back within the decade. 8O

Sorry about the joke at your expense buddy!
                        Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                          Hoomgar Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:33 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up until recently my method of dealing with this type of thing has been sure fire. I just paid someone else to do it.
                          Yeah, unfortunately Hoomie, I need my bike back within the decade. 8O

Sorry about the joke at your expense buddy!

No no no, no problem at all. That only reinforces that you understood where I was coming from man

Comment

Jethro,
                            get the scuba gear out.

This sounds way too familair.
                            My S was smoking on start up and hard excelleration, like when I had to pee
                            So what started out as a top end job, new valve guides, springs, cut the seats and check the valves....... turned into a complete rebuild.
                            Once the head was off and checking cylinders, they were not round, more egg shaped from piston slap, re-bored and finding pistons, thank you Orient Express and then finding valves, again thanks to Orient Express.
                            And waiting and waiting....... :x
                            I fianlly had a running motor.
                            So once you open the can of worms, be ready with check book in hand.
                            Knowing you, you don't 1/2 ass anything this could be the start of something big.
                            Just being a devils advocate here
                            What started out as a $500-$600 top end.......$2500 later I had a fresh motor. Was it worth it? Of course, you've seen the bike run.
                            So before you dive, think about how far you want to go.
                            Not trying to talk you out of it, just be prepared.
                            Keith
                            -------------------------------------------
                            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

This works for me
                              [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgDrAiYTx2xt*PEdd1AITNh8Sy9qqEVJoy2vAj7FOxQVBs!8p nZTFWAe5Zy!0z07rH1WjqgICLK401l2e*C*SfIP28*sImq18IY Wtat0Zck/SHIMS.JPG[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X