valve adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve adjustments

I've been reading about valve adjustment, and I've heard a lot about valvle shims, yet my repiar manual is saying something about a tappet adjuster, do I need shims for my 1985 gs700 valves? and if not, where would I find one of these tappet adjusters, or is it nothing special

Your 16 valve motor does not use shims, you have screw type adjusters. The tappet adjuster tool is simply a small type of socket which fits over the square head of the adjuster and allows you to turn it. It is not a very good tool, you could find something else to work in its place. You will need a box wrench to hold the locknut on each adjuster in place while you set the proper clearance.

Once you do it a few times it becomes a non event. Be extra careful when putting the cam cover back on- it is very easy to overtighten the cover bolts and to pinch the rubber gasket.

Good Luck, Ed
    1983 GS750ED

Comment

And be sure to take measurements and make adjustments on a STONE COLD motor. Let it sit over night is best.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I got some valuable information that I cheated at first. Had to re-do it.

USE 2 FEELER GAGES. The tappets are on a rocker type arm. You'll see what I mean. Hard for me to explain it. Anyway, what happens is when you are adjusting a tappet, your actually cocking the arm, so you are NOT getting a true adjustment. I had to use another feeler gage and adjust both of the tappets at the same time. This actually made it a piece of cake. My 2nd go around took less than 1/2 hour (I know - that's really slow). I was just double checking everything as this was a RE-DO.
        I just used a box end wrench on the lock nuts.

Good Luck.

Comment

awesome information guys, this definetly makes me feel better about doing a valve adjustment, I just wish I hadn't changed my oil real recently.

Comment

You can adjust the valves without draining or changing the oil if the gasket comes off real clean- which I have discoverd is rare, but possible.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I had no trouble. I didn't change the oil. My rubber gasket came out fine. I actually re-used it. :roll:

Comment

A trick I learned here is to apply a very light coat of bearing grease to the new gasket. It can help keep the gasket in line while you're installing the cover, but best of all, the gasket will come off easy next time.
                I don't recommend re-using the stock (fiber) gasket. It may work, but you're just asking for a leak.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

'83 550E adjustment

So, maybe someone could explain to me (in idiot language) step by spet valve adjustment. I kind of know the basics, and want to do it right. The bike's making a ticking sound around the cam area, and am thinking that a good adjustment might help this. :roll: If not any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                  X