Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fork oil amount GS 1150 both or each leg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil amount GS 1150 both or each leg?

Hi,

My manual specifies 268 ml oil to be filled into the front fork.

Is the 268 ml supposed to be for each leg or for both legs toghether?

I think it must be 268 ml per leg, meaning 268 + 268 ml for the complete fork.

Could anybody confirm if I'm right please?

268ml per leg is correct!

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
      268ml per leg is correct!
      Thanks!

Comment

Karl,

It is much better to use the oil height specification than the amount, because the height is what sets your air gap at the top of the leg and this is what controls how firmly the forks bottom. Depending on the springs and spacers you have in the forks, the manual specified amount of oil will not give the correct height.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
          Karl,

It is much better to use the oil height specification than the amount, because the height is what sets your air gap at the top of the leg and this is what controls how firmly the forks bottom. Depending on the springs and spacers you have in the forks, the manual specified amount of oil will not give the correct height.

Mark
          Thanks for the tip Mark, that is what I intend to do.

My question this morning was raised, so knew how much oil I had to bye. (0,5 or 1 liter bottle).

BTW:

The height specification is 210 mm.

Comment

a trick I use is, I have a big syringe that is for measuring two stroke oil, it comes with a tube that attach's to it.
            I measure the hight I need and using a zip tie and a piece of cardboard with a hole in it to poke the tub through, set the zip tie so that the card board acts like a stop.
            you put excess oil in the forks and use the syringe to extract the extra oil and it allows you to set the oil level exactly the same between the forks.

Comment

Karl the height spec is 180mm NOT 210mm. that is measured from the top of the forkleg down with the spring removed and the inner tube fully compressed.
              Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
                Karl the height spec is 180mm NOT 210mm. that is measured from the top of the forkleg down with the spring removed and the inner tube fully compressed.
                Dink
                Hi Dink,

There are two types of forks for the GS1150, depending on what market they were sold on, for my bike the height spec is 210 mm.

For the "Canada" fork the height spec is 180 mm and the oilamount spec is 286 ml.

Comment

Working...
                X