Reality check before you tear down your engine...updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality check before you tear down your engine...updated

Good reality check before you tear down your engine.

What exactly is a Tune-Up or Rebuild ? What does it include ? Find out here.

BTW I'm not the Dan who is giving the advice. Just dawned on me that some might be misled.

Good information Dan. Thanks

Comment

Love it. That seals the deal for me- tune up only. I'm not tearing the engine apart unless absolutely nessecary.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

His article says (ath the end) what I believe to be true:

"One last thing to consider. On all jobs there are only two ways to go.

Do it right and replace EVERYTHING that needs replacing.
        OR

Do ABSOLUTLY as little as possible. Only replace the things you must replace. Reuse everything else. Save every penny.
        Don't do things half way. You will be wasting your money. All or as little as possible. Cheap it out or bit the bullet. Those are the choices.

For many of the members on this site who bought their used GS for less than $1000 it simply does not make sense economically (or based on time and effort) to go deeper than the valve cover (the valve cover itself will need to be removed on rare ocassion) for engine related things. Carbs, pipes, tires, chain, brakes and other "external" components should be serviced on an "as-needed" basis.

Comment

excellent advice!!!

Comment

different reasons

I know that it is not really "economically smart" for me to rebuild my 79 gs850, but in doing so I have learned so much about how motorcycles actually work, they are no longer black boxes and I am much more confident that I can fix something if I break down on the side of the road. I would agree that if you don't have any attachment to the bike, sell it and get a new one, but for me it is much easier to budget for a few parts every month rather than coming up with a lump sum all at once to buy a complete bike. (It helps that I have another bike to ride while the GS is in pieces). Also, as the GS was the first bike I bought with my own money it has some sentimental value. I don't want to be one of those guys that says, "I wish I never would have sold my ....."

Luke

Comment

Gulp! Kinda takes the love out of it,don't it? :?

Mitch.

Comment

I don't know that I would spend the money doing an engine rebuild but I don't mind spending money on shocks, electronics, jet kits etc. Most of us spend money on these bikes because there is some satisfaction in it. Anyone (with money) can go out and buy a brand new bike but it's fun fixing and restoring these bikes. There is alot of pride rolling up on an older bike that is excellent condition. I have also learned alot and I thoroughly enjoy it. I still want a new ZRX1200 though.

Comment

I really don't agree with a lot of what he's saying. I can totally rebuild my 1100 (new pistons, rings, gasket kit, bearings, seals, and odds and ends) for about $500. When it's finished, I have brand new engine that is ready for 50,000 miles. If I have to have the crank rebuilt, add another $500. So, for $1000 the major component on my bike is brand new. I can't justify buying another used bike for $1500 to $2000 and still have an engine with 20,000 miles already on it. Also, by planning out my rebuild, I can gather parts at a discount well before the rebuild, further bringing down the cost.

And as previously mentioned, I enjoy doing the rebuild. There are few things as satisfying as building an engine, firing it up and riding it. But I must admit there are few things as frustrating as having problems when you do try to get it started...

Then there is the emotional side...have a bike for as long as I have you tend to become attached to it...lots of great memories on the past and hopefully lots more in the future.

Hap

Comment

Oh yeah, if my bike really needed a grand or so put into it, I wouldn't have a problem doing it at all.

Hap, where do you buy most of your parts from? I'm suprised to hear you can do the pistons and rings alone for under $500.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

There are few rules that are hard to ignore

1. if it ain't broke don't fix it.

2. These are bikes, not banks. Expect not to "get the money out of it"

3. Buying a bike for a few hundred dollars does not necessarily mean you can't spend more than that on it. If a 500 dollar bike takes 600 dollars in repairs you may have a 1100 dollar bike that is dependable and better than a 1200 dollar bike that just looks nicer.

4. They don't make any more of these bikes. If you admire the look as I do who cares what it costs to keep them around. The day will come when there are no more 1000 or 2000 dollar GS's to trade over to.

5. I think that article was written by someone in the business. He has to watch the bottom line only. You can deduct from repair costs the utility, fun, and experience the bike gives you. "More fun per turn of the wrench than anything else" is what a friend used to say.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Rebuild?

I think Dan's financial basis assumes shop-performed at retail rates. While I have spent a LOT of money to get this far, the motor has only cost me a few hundred, including an overbore and a valve job. The biggest items are thew o/s pistons and rings, they were pricey, but not every rebuild will require you replace the pistons.

Sincerely,
                        Vince

Comment

Working...
                        X