Gasket by itself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket by itself?

I have a 1985 GS550 that suffered a crash on its left side. The crash wrecked the stator cover causing the bike to spew oil. I have since replaced that cover.

Oil now leaks much less from the area between the stator cover and the engine case. However, it does still leak.

When I replaced the stator cover, I used the old gasket. I have since purchased a new gasket. When I replace the old gasket, is there some compound I should use to "glue" the new gasket to the stator cover/engine case? Or do I just put the gasket on by itself?

Are there other things I should know?

I don't use glue on the gasket, no problem so far......

Comment

Originally posted by kz
      I don't use glue on the gasket, no problem so far......
      Me too.

Comment

Just make sure every little piece of the old gasket is removed & put it on dry

Comment

I like to use hylomar on the gasket, mostly so that I can reuse the gasket because the hylomar doesn't ever setup, it keeps the gasket from sticking, and ripping. It also helps seal things up if things aren't perfect, and excess that get's in your oil won't cause any problems like rtv can.

Comment

Go for the hylomar. You will find it is the best. I found out about from guys who race bikes and have to take things apart without ripping the gaskets.

Mike

Comment

whats thats some kinda grease or gel you spread over both sides of the gasket?

Comment

hylomar

Yes, it forms a chemical seal and never hardens. I have never had a gasket leak where I used it. You can get it at any auto parts store.

Mike

Comment

I use Hylomar too. Comes in a tube at any hardware store.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                  X