Backfiring through the #1 carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backfiring through the #1 carb?

Does this indicate a rich condition or a lean condition?

I'm guessing lean or overly cold. The bike just started doing this while riding in the snow yesterday.

Could be time for some fuel additive...

Thank you,
    Dm of mD

WAIT!! Could it be a timing issue?

I thought about it a little and perhaps the #1 cylinder is firing when the intake valve is open or something?

Dm of mD
    1981 GS750L TSCC

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
      WAIT!! Could it be a timing issue?

I thought about it a little and perhaps the #1 cylinder is firing when the intake valve is open or something?

Dm of mD
      1981 GS750L TSCC
      could be!

Comment

I'm interested in the answer to this as well. Getting backfire through #2 until bike gets warmed up. Hoping it's a carb synch issue and doing a synch soon to see if that gets rid of it.

Comment

Is the back fire more like "spitting" out the filter(s)? This is almost always a lean mixture condition.
          It can be a lot of things. Dirty carb passages in the pilot circuit...a sticking float needle valve...float level not adjusted right...vacuum level too low on a carb...mixture screw/pilot screw not adjusted right...pilot jet too small...
          The colder weather really exposes lean mixture problems that are not as noticable during other times. If all the above is good, remember that mixture screws (CV's) and pilot fuel and air screws (VM's), are provided to make minor jetting changes to help during cold or hot weather.
          When it's colder out, try turning your mixture screws out a 1/2 turn or so. When it's hot or in higher elevations, the opposite can help.
          On VM carbs, try adjusting the side air screw out a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to lean the mixture when it's hot out or in higher elevations.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

my bike was doing the same thing, back fireing thru the the carbs i raised the needle a 1/2 notch and the problem was gone.

-ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
              my bike was doing the same thing, back fireing thru the the carbs i raised the needle a 1/2 notch and the problem was gone.

-ryan
              It could be that too. In Detman's case, I'm assuming the bike only showed this problem in very cold conditions. I'm also assuming his bike is running fine at all other times. If he raised the needle 1/2 a position, it could cause richness problems at all other riding conditions. But it could still be his needle is lean to begin with and the colder temp's bring on the problem.
              Regarding your fix, have you taken any plug reads at 1/3 throttle? I only ask because in my experiences, most of the time when a bike spits, it's more than a 1/2 position too lean. Raising the needle a 1/2 position may eliminate the spitting, but the needle is still lean. But with jetting, we all know there are exceptions.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

no i haven't taken a reading at 1/3 throttel i should... i have just been going by plug color when i turn it off, and that is a good color, i also usally run the bike on the main, 7000+, that and the way the pods on my 550 work in my experice if they get kinda dirty then it seems to effect the richness of the bike so i try to keep them clean and at there highest flow, i know this mean the whole bike maybe jet a little rich but it's been working good for me, and i am scared that if i start changing things then i have to go back a adjust every thing. maybe i will, i need to resnyc this spring so why not try droping my mains down from the dj155 to a dj150 both came in the kit and natually i went big.

-ryan
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x

Comment

Well if your set up is working for you and the plugs look good, don't let me get you into trouble! Just ride and enjoy it!

Comment

well see how spring goes and how my 1000 is coming, if i get the 1000 up and running then i can break the 550.

Keith, you know any thing about batteries, if so can you check my battery help post.

-ryan
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x

Comment

Originally posted by first timer

Keith, you know any thing about batteries, if so can you check my battery help post.
                      Checked it out and added my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                        Is the back fire more like "spitting" out the filter(s)? This is almost always a lean mixture condition.
                        It can be a lot of things. Dirty carb passages in the pilot circuit...a sticking float needle valve...float level not adjusted right...vacuum level too low on a carb...mixture screw/pilot screw not adjusted right...pilot jet too small...
                        The colder weather really exposes lean mixture problems that are not as noticable during other times. If all the above is good, remember that mixture screws (CV's) and pilot fuel and air screws (VM's), are provided to make minor jetting changes to help during cold or hot weather.
                        When it's colder out, try turning your mixture screws out a 1/2 turn or so. When it's hot or in higher elevations, the opposite can help.
                        On VM carbs, try adjusting the side air screw out a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to lean the mixture when it's hot out or in higher elevations.
                        Keith, once again...YOU DA MAN!!!
                        The #1 carb was lean...way lean...on the mixture/pilot screw setting. The exhaust tone is also a lot smoother now rather than the ragged popping tone I was getting before. And you were right that it was only happening during very very cold weather.

Glad this one was an easy fix.

God bless,
                        Dm of mD

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X