GS buying tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS buying tips?

Hey all! I've been checking out your site for some time. I've had the itch and need a good commuter. I found an '82 GS1100GK about 2 hours away with 6800 original miles on it in an estate sale. It has been checked and driven and is supposedly pristine. I'm going this morning after work to take a spin and put down a deposit to hold the bike till I can scrape up the $1400. I think it's a great price, but need some pointers to watch out for or check on the bike to make sure I don't get burned. The bike needs to be capable of 120 mile a day commute to/from K.C. on all interstate, and I can't think of a more capable warrior for the task. I appreciate the input and hope to be a regular contributor in the future.

watch out for the normal stuff, tires, wheel bearins, maybe clean the carbs if it needs it, rust in tank, play in swingarm and steering head bearins, i looked at a gs 450 or 550 cant remember long time ago, the bike looked great until i sat on it, could not turn the forks the bearins were stuck, sand gushed out of the headlight too 8O

Comment

A good indicator of owner care is this: ask owner to remove right side cover off the GK. Unscrew the rear brake reservoir, remove a little bit with an eyedropper and observe the fluid. Chances are it will be dard and/or dirty and/or cloudy. If fluid is clean, buy the darn thing immediately. Don't hold it against the owner if it's dirty. After all, you can easily bleed the brakes and freshen up the fluid. Just consider it a premium if it's clean.

Get on the brakes hard when you test ride it. The bike should start immediately, especially when warm, and settle to a nice, even idle. When you test ride it, the bike should accelerate and decelerate cleanly and predictably, with no noises, exhaust burble, or anything like that. You should define a split second as the time it takes from hitting the starter button to the time the engine fires up.

Read the article I wrote on buying my GS1100GK three years ago. It's on this site: http://www.thegsresources.com/storie...ometouring.htm

The GS1100G and its accessorized buddy, the GS1100GK, are the best all-around touring and commuting bikes ever made by Suzuki. Hope this GK is a good one for you to get your hands on. Don't look at mileage alone -- my Hybrid GK has 61,000 miles on it (36,000 of which are mine in 3 years); it's lovingly cared for, and ridden with gusto. It's in the Gallery, at http://www.thegsresources.com/_scrip....php?RegID=182 .

Nick

Comment

Good advise. If anyone knows those GK's its Mr Nick.

Comment

I'm baaaack! And was I ever stunned! After the 2 1/2 hr drive, I pulled up to see what appeared to be a factory new GS 1100GK. On closer inspection, I was even more floored to find the mileage WAS 6859 miles. The owner came out, and after nicities, began to point out the very stuff that I wanted to check and more! The gas tank was pristine inside, the pipes only lightly discolored at the block. ALL fluids were crystal clear. He showed receipts for full fluid replacement and adjustable front and rear air shocks. He had just paid a locksmith to come out and completely rekey the bike to insure that the bike worked off of one key. He even had manuals! He had even had a new windscreen formed out of lexan to be more durable!! The only shortcomings I noticed were 1) slight oxidation on the outside top edges of both side bags 2) some rust on the seat pan directly above the battery and 3) a slight crack on the left lower. I will have to go to the emergency room for the sprained wrist I got trying to get the check out of my pocket! I had to get him to hold the bike until the end of the week to get the rest of the money together, even if I have to hock a couple of firesticks (I'm SOOO torn!) But really I am absolutely esctatic over the bike and look forward to going down and getting my dream bike! Hope to see some of you in the future. Look me up if you get to St. Joe. Thanx soooooo much, Jerry Cox

Comment

Another happy GS owner!

Have fun and have a safe ride Jerry

Comment

Working...
            X