Flaking intake boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flaking intake boots

I just pulled the carbs on my 1980 GS850GL (boy, was that easier than pulling the carbs on my 1981 GS550L). The black rubber (?plastic) is peeling off the metal flange that seats against the intake manifold, but the rubber otherwise looks good. Is this acceptable?

Thanks.

If the boots are not leaking and are not hard they should be OK. Ihave seen boots do this and they wre still OK.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

If the rubber is pulling away from the metal THEY NEED to be replaced

Comment

The rubber is flaking off the metal flange where the bolts go through. The rubber is otherwise intact and pliable with no cracking.

Comment

Why did you take of the carbs in the first place? Was the bike not running well enough? If budget allowes I would replace them, I believe they are about $25 each.

Comment

I figured it was time to clean the carbs. Found it to hesitate a bit when cold, but ran great when warm.

Looks like I'll replace them.

Comment

Don't forget to replace the o-rings too! And good wrenching to you.

Comment

I've got the same thing on mine....the rubber has just started flaking, but there are no cracks.

I suppose I'll have to replace them.....?

Comment

YOU WILL NEED TO REPLACE THE BOOTS AND O RINGS BEHIND THEM.

the rubber may look like it is still attached but there are little leaks you can't see and no matter how much silicone you glob on them it will not help.

been there done that.

-ryan
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Got the o-rings. Will need to get new intake boots. Besides the dealer where can I get them?

Comment

go google type in parts fish they has some for pretty good prices

-ryan
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I just noticed exactly the same thing on my 850.There appeared to be a little crack around the outside of the bolt hole. I stuck my fingernail in it and flaked a little piece of the coating off. But there are no cracks or flaking down where the boot attaches to the flange. The bike was running fine the last time I rode it. I would not have known there was flaking if I did not have the tank off for another reason. I am not going to replace the boots as long as the bike is running well. You can test it from time to time by spraying the boots while it's running.

If you determine at some point the boots are actually leaking, then they do have to be replaced. They have a serious effect on the way the bike runs.
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                          I just noticed exactly the same thing on my 850.There appeared to be a little crack around the outside of the bolt hole. I stuck my fingernail in it and flaked a little piece of the coating off. But there are no cracks or flaking down where the boot attaches to the flange. The bike was running fine the last time I rode it. I would not have known there was flaking if I did not have the tank off for another reason. I am not going to replace the boots as long as the bike is running well. You can test it from time to time by spraying the boots while it's running.

If you determine at some point the boots are actually leaking, then they do have to be replaced. They have a serious effect on the way the bike runs.

Mine only flaked after i took my bike to a mechanic to get the carbs synchronized. I don't think that they are leaking, but I will spray to check in the spring.

Comment

If the rubber is pulling away from the metal flange at all, then yes, they are leaking. Period. End of story. No matter how hard you wish.

I've also been there, done that.

All kinds of intake boot and o-ring goodness:
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My original boots are 'flakey' as you describe. They're okay and don't leak air though. I'm not sure what flakes off, it's almost like a paint of sorts...

Comment

Working...
                              X