Flaking intake boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems we might need to clarify...

The flaking we're talking about -- are we talking about the thin coating of rubber on the sides of the metal flanges? Almost like a thin layer of paint? This seems to be leftover rubber from the manufacturing process, and will not hurt anything if it comes off.

If you're talking about the main body of the rubber pulling away from the flange, then yes, this is very harmful.

I was picturing #2, but I think we may have actually been talking about scenario #1.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i have come up with a good alternative to the rubbers inlets...mine went bad and new ones are 70 dollar for the set , i said ok ill order them but they needed to match them and i threw them out so instead of bringing in my carbs i just said screw it i made it work a different way, i took the aluminum spacers and had them drilled out to slide on the mouth of the carbs, i used a o ring in the grove on the carb openings and slid on the aluminum spacers , it is now sealed.....near the back of the spacers there is a couple screws tapped through the spacers and they push on the carbs openings holding it all together....no more rubber boots!....looks better too

Comment

Flaky Intake Boots

Interesting approach there bboxer - just have to watch for vibration problems in the carbs, and potential vacuum leaks. The actual stock boots are occasionally found on eBay, but I bought mine at bikebandit.com for around $25 apiece which isn't too bad.

Vince

Comment

yeah mines a twin so i needed two they wanted $35 a piece not too bad.....i just have to watch to make sure the screws do not come loose, i have used thread locker and tightend them down hopfully it works if not then i guess im bringing the carbs to the store to order boots.......were you saying i might have carb troubles because the vibration let through to them now?

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
            Seems we might need to clarify...

The flaking we're talking about -- are we talking about the thin coating of rubber on the sides of the metal flanges? Almost like a thin layer of paint? This seems to be leftover rubber from the manufacturing process, and will not hurt anything if it comes off.

If you're talking about the main body of the rubber pulling away from the flange, then yes, this is very harmful.

I was picturing #2, but I think we may have actually been talking about scenario #1.
            My very early reply on this assumed this is what he was talking about. Flaking on the aluminum ears of the leftover rubber is nothing to worry about, obviously.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Carb Boots

bboxer, just a theory about the vibration, you may never experience any problems. GS motors are pretty smooth. But solid or semisolid-mounting carbs on a big parallel twin without a balancer (i.e., Norton Commando) is probably going to shake the carbs apart. Good luck with your solution!

Comment

I was referring to flaking of the thin layer of rubber on the metal flange, not the thicker rubber of the tube pulling away from the flange and leaving holes.

It's too late for me; I've ordered four new inlet boots from my Suzuki dealer. Cleaned carbs, new inlet o-rings and boots; should run like a champ.

Comment

keep the old ones........spares
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

vdaliessio Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:41 pm Post subject: Carb Boots

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bboxer, just a theory about the vibration, you may never experience any problems. GS motors are pretty smooth. But solid or semisolid-mounting carbs on a big parallel twin without a balancer (i.e., Norton Commando) is probably going to shake the carbs apart. Good luck with your solution!

my particular bike has a balancer shaft infront of the crankshaft its a gs400

Comment

Working...
                    X