Confused about tires for a 78 750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about tires for a 78 750E

I'm confused. I recently bought a 1978 GS750E I'm fixing up and hoping to get on the road by Spring. The wheels are the original alloys -

Front
    Wheel - 1.85 x 19
    Stock tire - 3.25 x 19

Rear
    Wheel 2.15 x 18
    Stock tire - 4.00 x 18

I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible - I don't want to have any clearance problems and, more importantly, I don't want to mess up the stock handling.

According to the inch/metric tire conversion charts I should go with:

Front - 100/90 x 19
    Rear - 110/90 x 18

When I measure the tires on it now (3.25 and 4.00 IRC Durotours) the width of the front is about 100mm which matches the recommendation but the rear is closer to 120 - it's about 118mm.

On most of the tire Web sites where they show a recommended rim width, they show a minimum of a 2.5 rim even for the 110.

:?

I've been looking at the Dunlop D404, Metzeler ME33/ME99, and the Pirelli Sport Demon.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on sizes and tires

BTW, the rims do not say 'tubeless' on them.

100/90/19 for the front is fine don't go any bigger. For the rear I think it should be a 120/90/18. I like the metzlers but that is just my opinion SOme people like Dunlops. Most people say to use tubes with rims that
    don't say tubeless others say it's ok???

Comment

I put dunlop arrowmax GT501 on mine, love em! track straight as an arrow and never felt them slide in hard cornering.
      When I purchased the bike the owner had put tyres on over the stock size,
      they did not work.

Comment

Re: Confused about tires for a 78 750E

Avon has some tires that will fit your machine. Roadrunner's, the AM20 for the front and the AM21 for the rear. They're still made in your inch marked stock sizes.

325-19 54H AM20 Roadrunner (front)
        400-18 64H AM21 Roadrunner (rear)

Their fitment guide lists these tires to fit gs750d and e from '76 - '79.

hope this helps. Now I know the roadrunners aren't Avon's premium rubber, but they're still much higher quality than any tire made inthe 70's!

Sam

Originally posted by ptm
        I'm confused. I recently bought a 1978 GS750E I'm fixing up and hoping to get on the road by Spring. The wheels are the original alloys -

Front
        Wheel - 1.85 x 19
        Stock tire - 3.25 x 19

Rear
        Wheel 2.15 x 18
        Stock tire - 4.00 x 18

I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible - I don't want to have any clearance problems and, more importantly, I don't want to mess up the stock handling.

According to the inch/metric tire conversion charts I should go with:

Front - 100/90 x 19
        Rear - 110/90 x 18

When I measure the tires on it now (3.25 and 4.00 IRC Durotours) the width of the front is about 100mm which matches the recommendation but the rear is closer to 120 - it's about 118mm.

On most of the tire Web sites where they show a recommended rim width, they show a minimum of a 2.5 rim even for the 110.

:?

I've been looking at the Dunlop D404, Metzeler ME33/ME99, and the Pirelli Sport Demon.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on sizes and tires

BTW, the rims do not say 'tubeless' on them.

Comment

For the four years I had my 79 750E, I ran a 100/90/19 on the front and a 120/90/18 on the rear. Metzelers. It always handled just fine.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Thanks, everyone - that helps. I was tempted to go with a brand that still has the old sizes, but it's pretty limited selection.

Comment

Working...
            X