78 GS550E: how to remove carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS550E: how to remove carbs?

Right now I'm restoring a 78 GS550. I saved it from the scrap yard. Didn't look that well, but it ran fine.
    When I took it apart, I had some trouble to figure out, how the carbs could be removed easily. Didn't worry too much about that, as I was planning to repaint everything, including the airbox. With some force I pulled the carbs out, took the airbox apart and removed it.
    Now almost everything is back in place; fresh paint, new bolts and nuts, etc. Refitted the airbox. Cleaned the carbs, and wanted to put them back in place. Now here's the problem:
    There doesn't seem to be a lot of space between the airbox and the intake manifolds. I removed the three bolts, that hold the airbox in place, so I could push it backwards. Even then, there was hardly enough room to fit the carbs in. It almost looks like Suzuki put the the airbox in, and welded the frame around it.
    I couldn't figure out another way, like first putting the carbs back in place, and than refitting the airbox.
    With a lot of muscle I managed to refit the carbs, but I wonder if Suzuki wanted a carb job on a GS550 to be a mechanic's nightmare.
    Does anyone know of an easy way to take the carbs off and put them back in again? Am I just overlooking something?
    The airbox can't be easily removed like on my GS850.

When it's running again, I hope I don't have to adjust the float levels, or something like that....

Well jojo, I dont have a 550, but I do have two 750's. A 79 and a
    1981. On the 79 I have to install the carbs first then slide in the airbox. Everything lines up and goes together very easily. On the 81, I have to place the airbox in the recessed location (loose, no bolts), then insert the carb stack and push it into the head intake boots, but not clamp them. Then while pressing the carb stack into the intake boots, pull up on it creating an angle. Then angle the airbox to match, and when aligned, press both of them down forcing the airbox onto the carb flanges. Then I bolt up the airbox and tighten the clamps on the carb intakes.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

On Karens GS550E it was a two man job one guy sitting on the bike pulling the airbox back to create hardly any clearance at all, and another guy to work the carbs in and out. Royal pain in the arse. Safe Riding, Bill

Comment

I found spraying WD40 on the rubber boots helps in getting those carbs squeezed back into place. Also, this is a good time to inspect the intake manifolds for cracks.
        Axel

Comment

Well, I guess I wasn't overlooking anything.....
          Used all of the suggestions mentioned above. I put it together using Earls method, with the muscle that Bill describes and Axel's WD-40 to reduce friction.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Sometimes, there isnt any easy way and the most useful resource is determination. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by jojo
            Well, I guess I wasn't overlooking anything.....
            Used all of the suggestions mentioned above. I put it together using Earls method, with the muscle that Bill describes and Axel's WD-40 to reduce friction.

Thanks guys!
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Ah, like being married...

Comment

me too

I thought putting them back on my 80 GS750L was an absolute nightmare. I used Earl's method along with lots of WD-40.....I also cussed a whole lot and that seemed to help almost as much as anything else. :roll:
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Cussing at the carbs

Those damn carbs! Man the 80' 750 was really a cusser. On the 80' 550 I found a couple things that help, as stated WD-40 the manifolds and pull out the clips that hold the rear plastic fender, push the fender to the tire. Now you have some more room to push the air box down and out of the way. Don't forget to put the throttle cable on before you put it back together!

Comment

cussin' at the carbs

Good advice putting the throttle cable on first . I have had mine on an off to many times .After the first time I took the stock airbox and gently crammed it into the darkest corner of my garage and bought individual pod filters . Took some time tuning it ,but looks better and turns a nightmarish job into a 2 min. job.

Comment

Working...
                    X