Newbie electrical issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie electrical issues

In September I bought an 83 GS750E. It ran fine for a couple months, but started blowing the main fuse around the beginning of December. I figured it was a short, so I looked through all the wiring and found / fixed one short. Prior to this I'd replaced the ignition cylinder (where the key goes in ), as it was broken and corroded. Unfortunately, this seems to have not fixed the problem, although I can at least start the bike and run for a small period of time before the main blows again. It seems to burn the fuses when I slow down (e.g. getting off the freeway or stopping at a stop sign) or turn the bike off (either by stalling or turning the key).

Anybody have any ideas on where to look next? This is my first bike and I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to repairing these things.

Thanks for reading!

It could be a bad regulator/rect Try disconnecting the reg and ride the bike. Turn the headlight off or disconnet it It should run for at least 1-2 hours with a fully charged battery.

Comment

Lynn probably has it right, but, since you have already encountered corrosion, go back and check other connections. The reason in simple...corrosion means poor conductivity, which equals resistance, and that not only causes heat, it blows fuses.

Check out your entire charging system. You need a digital multimeter
      (my preference over sweep-hand types).
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        It could be a bad regulator/rect Try disconnecting the reg and ride the bike. Turn the headlight off or disconnet it It should run for at least 1-2 hours with a fully charged battery.
        Will this just drain the battery? Would it be worth going over the walk through in the Stator Papers?

Originally posted by argonsagas
        Lynn probably has it right, but, since you have already encountered corrosion, go back and check other connections. The reason in simple...corrosion means poor conductivity, which equals resistance, and that not only causes heat, it blows fuses.
        Yeah, when I checked for shorts I put electrical cleaner over all the connections. The only other place I saw lots of corrosion was on the ignition coils (which I cleaned off).

Check out your entire charging system. You need a digital multimeter (my preference over sweep-hand types).
        I can see how this might tell me if I have a connection that is broken, but is there a way to see if a wire is just exposed (perhaps the casing is partially burnt)?

Thanks,
        -T

Comment

My sugestion is just to eliminate other reasons for the fuses to blow.
          What is probably happening is that you are getting voltage spike/ feedback from the reg when the ign is turned off blowing the fuse

Comment

Interesting. Tonight I rode around for a bit with the regulator disconnected and the bike ran great except for a whining noise coming from the engine on the lower left side (I think where the stator is). I then plugged in the regulator, rode around the block a few times, and when I was coming to a stop the main fuse blew.

From there I would have liked to have tried repeating the experiment, but unfortunately the battery was too drained to startup the bike again after I put in a new fuse.

Comment

OK so we now know the reg is bad, Test the stator & if it checks ok go ahead & replace the reg/rect Problem fixed

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                OK so we now know the reg is bad, Test the stator & if it checks ok go ahead & replace the reg/rect Problem fixed
                I was trying to follow the chart in the Stator Papers and it said their are 3 wires coming from the stator. Unfortunately, I'm unable to find where these wires are. Do they all lead up to the regulator / rectifier? I didn't find anything in the shop manual about the stator - is it the same thing as the signal generator?

Comment

Look under the starter cover, and you should see a wrapped set of wires that come from under the cover and come back towards the fuse box. This would be the stator wires. The connections into the main wiring should be near the fuse box.

Regardless of wire colour, they are all equal in output. Check the with your multi-meter.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

So in the wiring diagram in the manual, these are the 3 wires going from the "AC Generator" to the Regulator / Rectifier?

Comment

Working...
                    X