X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

durbahn is the man

Try here

Comment

Anybody want to try thinking outside of the box? How about two gell 6 volt batteries. Mounted in series, You could mount one on top of the swing arm pivot and one in the tailpiece, Could use aluminum cables to save weight. The electrons will hardly notice that you don't have heavy copper cables. What do you think?

Comment

just an update, the battery is working good still, the first one died cause it was a crap 50 buck battery, bought a yusa and no problems since, it is currently spining the 550 since every thing else is apart.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Hi, Ryan!

My personal opinion is that if heat was going to be a serious problem you'd already know it because the plastic zip ties would probably melt before the plastic of the battery was seriously affected. If that hasn't happen you're probably in good shape. However, I would consider building a sealed battery box to keep the outside elements "outside."

Regarding other battery choices, I remember seeing a video where a custom bike builder (Matt Hotch) tested a new high tech lithium ion nanophosphate - LiFEPO Polymer battery by cranking a big custom V-twin motor continuously to see how long the battery would crank it. He wound up overheating the motor after continuously cranking it for something like 5-8 minutes! Normally a conventional battery will die within thirty seconds to a minute on these motors (according to him). The really cool part is the fact that these batteries are something like two thirds smaller (and lighter) than their conventional counterparts, so if you want a REALLY small battery these are the ones to look at. Predictably, they are extremely expensive, though!

Heres a link to the Tekbattery.com page that references Hotch and the torture test he put the battery through. It's pretty impressive. The link to the video is on the lower right of the page.

Regards,
          Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2008, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X