Running with gas stabilizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running with gas stabilizer

I've done some work to the bike recently, most notably changing my pilot jets to a larger size than stock. Since the weekend was so nice, I decided to take it out for a rip. My problem with off the line hesitation is totally gone (a good thing), but I was getting more popping than usual. The tank is full of gas stabilizer, does this tend to casue a little popping? It really wasn't severe, just wondering if Stabil can be part of that.

Granted I still need to synch the carbs and adjust the mixture screws on account of new pilots.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Re: Running with gas stabilizer

Originally posted by Jethro
    I've done some work to the bike recently, most notably changing my pilot jets to a larger size than stock. Since the weekend was so nice, I decided to take it out for a rip. My problem with off the line hesitation is totally gone (a good thing), but I was getting more popping than usual. The tank is full of gas stabilizer, does this tend to casue a little popping? It really wasn't severe, just wondering if Stabil can be part of that.

Granted I still need to synch the carbs and adjust the mixture screws on account of new pilots.
    Unless you way to much stabil in I don't think that's the problem, sounds like it is running a bit rich

Comment

Why would you fill the tank with sta-bil?

Just a little is all that's needed. RTFM

Geoff, we get the same reaction from the training bikes.
      When first started or idiling for some time 5-10 minutes, they do back fire of pop. Once the sta-bil is out of the tank, sounds are gone.
      My S does the same thing.
      I let the tank run down then top it off with fresh fuel.
      By adding fuel, and not running it down, you're just diluting the sta-bil.
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Why would you fill the tank with sta-bil?

Just a little is all that's needed. RTFM
        Ya got me

That's what I was hoping to hear.
        Currently bikeless
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Geoff, What did you do to fix your hesitation off the line? My bike just started doing that, along with a little misfire at idle. Runs fine over 2K rpms. Any help?

Comment

In my case, the previous owner put in a jet kit and pod filters with a 4-1 pipe. So the main jet and needle were increased by about 6 or 7 sizes, but for some reason the pilot jet in there was a #40- the stock size is supposed to be a #45 so it was smaller than stock! I put in a #47.5 (this one is a K&N I think- they are supposedly an a larger scale than OEM) and I now get no hesitiation off the line. I still need to synch the carbs and adjust the mixture screws, but drivability is improved significantly.
            Currently bikeless

Comment

Oh. Well, that wont be my problem... it ran fine up until a few days ago, then started doing that. Rainy weather perhaps? Im about to fire her up and see...

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X