fix dents in tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fix dents in tank?

is there any way to pop the dents in the tank back out?
    and also i know this is a stupid question but how do u fuel up a bike, ive done it a couple times and i never get a full tank, i'm only able to put in about 3 galons

There's been a discussion recently about removing dents on the "Tips and tricks" forum. I think it's titled "Air or water pressure for removing dents" Check it out.
    Axel

Comment

I think it depends on the dent, the severity of it. I had a small dent ... the size of a quarter or half dollar. I couldn't find anyone, in my area, who would fix it right ... in my mind anyway. Dent doctors didn't want to touch it and autobody places want to drill holes :roll:
      Luckily, I went searching ebay and found that there is a new tool being brought to market ... you may have seen it on tv now with the oxi-clean guy. It uses hot glue and a puller to pull the dents out. As I wanted it done right away and need to have my tank repainted ... I figured, what the hell ... took some hot glue and high test kit string or rope ... glued one end to the dent, let it dry and then yanked it off.
      Know I only have a little dimple instead of a dent. I image that the puller would work better ... Oh yeah, it it didn't mess up the paint ... so the ads pretty much tell the truth.

Comment

Hot glue Idea

You may try the hot glue idea, pull out the dent, and then heat the glue back up an clean it off instead of pulling it off.

Comment

The hot glue with the rubber "dart" cups does work pretty good, I had a buddy who does paintless dent removal, and he did it to my tank. We were able to get the major whoppers knocked down quite a bit, although due to the thickness of the steel we wern't able to get rid of them completely if there were creases it was a no go. Did make the body work part, a lot easier though. Was able to get by with very little body putty.If they are not creased there is another trick, you have to have the tank steamed out first aand repainted after words. You heat the dent evenly with a torch until it just starts to get dull red, then place a piece of dry ice on the center of the dent. Guaranteed to pop even large dents back out. This trick also works on black tanks with shallow minor dents without repainting. Just place tank out in the sun all day, then place dry ice on dent, POP, dent is gone.

Comment

Upon receiving my bike I notice a few little dents in my tank. I once took a baseball to the hood of my restored thunderbird. I didn't want to have to strip the hood and repaint it all again so I sat and "thunked" a little about it. I took a good ole' toilet plunger to the hood of my chicken and "pop" no dent. no major scratches, and with a little polish you can't tell there was ever a dent. So I tried it on the bike. You have to be able to get the plunger to seal on the tank. The plunger pulled the little dents out of the tank.

Just an idea. 8)

Comment

Working...
            X