When doing carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When doing carbs

Alrighty, I'm sorta getting prepped for cleaning out my carbs. I was wondering if I needed to buy carb kits, and how many I should buy if I do.

And if anyone has any advice for special tools (punches, etc.) that would make the job easier, I would appreciate it.

thanks

I am sure there are people with more than I got but I recommend 2 things:

1) a good set of screwdrivers, the better the fit of the driver to the head the less likely you'll end up stripping something.

2) Patience. I don't know if its different for a 4 carb bike than a twin, but I cleaned and reassembled them one at a time. I suppose you can disassemble them all, but keep the parts seperate. Take your time, don't lose anything (including temper ). It was a lot simpler than I expected my first time.

Might be good to have a manual or print the exploded view from Bikebandit or similar for reference in case you forgot which way that part goes back in

Comment

Unless your carbs are totally trashed the only thing needed is a set of O rings & maybe a set of float bowl gaskets

Comment

When I rebuilt mine I just replaced gaskets and orings but it turned out the float valves leak slightly. The bike runs ok but if I park it on the sidestand for like a week the gas all siphons out of the carbs and ends up on the floor. Parking on the centerstand minimizes the problem but now I wish I'd replaced them when I had the chance. It's no fun wrestling with that carb bank. YMMV but something to think about!

Debby
        1979 GS1000N
        2019 Kaw Z900RS
        plus a few more

Comment

You can get the float valves seperately if you need them
          the jets in the rebuild kits are of questionable quality
          MAKE SURE THE PETCOCK IS WORKING PROPERLY

Comment

I'm redoing my carbs now. I second the need for good screwdrivers.

I would also suggest a propane torch to help loosen up the air screws. Get a gallon of carb dip and a couple of spray bottles of carb cleaner. The o-rings from Robert Barr are a must. On another carb rebuild I bought carb rebuild kits, this time I bought OEM pilot jets but the other jets I plan to clean and reuse. (I did bugger up an air screw so I'll be getting one carb rebuild kit to replace it.)

Follow the carb clean up series on this site for detailed instructions. Overall easy to do, but you do need to keep tract of a lot of small parts.

Comment

I'd also add a sharp drill bit for drilling out stuck screw heads and a set of allen screws. As I remember I never had problems with the bowl screws - only the rail and diaphram screws. I replaced them all with allen heads.

Comment

My Carb kit consisted of a 12 pack for removal.

6 pack for tearing down, cleaning & putting back together.

2 1/2 Cases for putting them back in. 8O :? :?

Comment

If you have a digital camera, a few pictures as you take them apart can be helpful.

A spray can of carb cleaner with the red tube attached can be useful for cleaning out the passage ways.

An impact driver is a must for anyone working on a motorcycle. It can be used for removing the rails and other tight screws.

If you have time, you can wait until you take the carbs apart before ordering rebuild kits. However, chances are you'll only need the O-Rings mentioned in other posts. Chances are you'll need float bowl gaskets and these can be purchased separately. I've been able to reuse most parts, once they've been cleaned.

I agree with the good screwdrivers and a propane torch for the air screws.

A can of Berryman's is a must.

I also agree that at first is seems daunting, but once you're into the project, it's not so bad. Just take your time. And you have this forum for support.

Comment

alright, thanks everybody.

I'll be starting probably tommorow morning, if I find my set of screwdrivers.

I'm going to use some throttle-body-cleaner (for air-intake systems on cars) in an aerosol can to clean out the interior, as well as carb cleaner if required.

hopefully all goes well !

Comment

Originally posted by knelson
                      Get a gallon of carb dip
                      We can't get anything like berrymans over here in the UK, can someone have a look at the spec sheet for a can of it and post it here so that I can see if I can find something that approximates to it.

Alternatively if anyone knows where I can get my hands on some in the UK or a reasonable alternative I'd appreciate it.

Comment

this is what i found on a website

The label says that it contains Cresylic Acid, methylene cloride and xylene.

Not something you wanna drink or swim in but not something to call the
                        Hazmat team out for either. There are the generic warning on the can
                        about avoiding contact and not breathing vapors. You'd have to work
                        pretty hard to get around the odor in order to inhale any. It really
                        stinks! And a drop of 2 on your clothes will hang around and stink for
                        a long time. There are no chronic fumes, as there is a layer of water
                        on top of the stuff to retard evaporation. Even with my nose adjacent to
                        the can, I can't smell it with the lid on.

Caution: Methlyene Cloride is known to the state of California to
                        cause cancer in lab rats.
                        enjoy

ryan
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                        X