New battery question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New battery question.

Hi. I just puchased a new battery for my bike and it was shipped dry of course and I also bought a container of electrolyte at the auto parts store. Now after filling the battery do I need to charge it also? I have a 1 amp charger and I'm just not sure if I need to charge the thing first. This is the first battery I've bought mail order.

Re: New battery question.

Yes, charge it and check the voltage every hour or so. At full charge, it should show 13 volts or more.

Earl

Originally posted by Jeff Tate
    Hi. I just puchased a new battery for my bike and it was shipped dry of course and I also bought a container of electrolyte at the auto parts store. Now after filling the battery do I need to charge it also? I have a 1 amp charger and I'm just not sure if I need to charge the thing first. This is the first battery I've bought mail order.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thank you much. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Always charge a battery before putting it into service. Otherwise you'll never have the benefit of its full capacity.

Comment

when i bought mine i had to fill it and charge it for a good hour with the caps off i dont know why but it said leave them off then after it took in some acid i topped it off with a little bit of bottled water then put the caps on then charged it a little more and u shoulda heard that starter wale but of course a day later it sounded all normal again cuz the charging system is s***

Comment

Even better than bottled water is distilled water. I buy a litre (US quart, close enough) every few years for $1.00 at the drug store.

Comment

battery

hey i bought mine from an outlet Battery World, the thing was filled at the shop by my reqyest and didnt need charging most batteries are charged at new...but i put mine on charge for 3 hours...make sure you lower the ampage charge for as low as you can, so as not to stuff up the battery

Comment

Always charge a new battery after filling. This is the advice the manufacturers offer, despite most shops ignoring same. The instructions with my batteries usually recommend waiting 30-60 minutes for the acid to permeate the plates. Yuasa states that failing to charge new batteries or waiting too long to charge them after filling will cause loss of potential capacity or worse. You CAN'T charge a battery in the fashion the manufacturers wish by riding the bike.

Comment

Thanks everyone. You all have come to the rescue again!

Comment

Water

I agree that distilled water is the best choice for batteries but....in reality, it doesn't make any difference in many parts of the country. It all depends upon the mineral content of the water (i.e. "hard" water is naughty).

If a battery lasted for 10 or 15 years, it might make a difference but where I live, nobody gives it much of a thought.....(I know Oregon's the same way...of course, since it rains there every day, there's plenty of distilled water around :P )
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                    X