Another "Starter-Clutch" thread, Stupid/general qu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another "Starter-Clutch" thread, Stupid/general qu

Hello, new to this awesome board - and a bit background about myself. I'm currently a mechanical engineering student at the University of FL. In a couple of days a friend of mine will be towing up his 1980 GL1000 in hopes of me being able to give him a hand in a specific problem he has. So here goes!

I'm pretty positive the starter-clutch is his problem, so as far as replacing that, here are my questions.

Should I drain all of the oil before opening the cover? Are there any other particular precautions?

Is there a gasket? (most likely), will it need to be replaced? (most likely)

What sort of tool is required to remove the Starter Clutch itself, and where can it be purchased? What are the specific dimmensions of it?

And finally would a Starter clutch from an 83 GL850 work on his bike?

Thanks!

The oil doesn't need to be drained, you will loose some. You will need a new stator cover gasket. You have to remove the rotor off of the crankshaft too access the starter clutch & it requires a special tool. It may be easier to just have the dealer take it off. Not sure if the starter clutch is the same? Will need to check the part #s

Comment

I had to work on my starter clutch about two years ago, picked up one from a GS850 to put in my GS1100, no go, it was basically the same only smaller. you might want to check out the petcock also, I found in mine it was bad causing a hydraulic situation in #2 cyl wiping out the starter clutch and starter

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        The oil doesn't need to be drained, you will loose some. You will need a new stator cover gasket. You have to remove the rotor off of the crankshaft too access the starter clutch & it requires a special tool. It may be easier to just have the dealer take it off. Not sure if the starter clutch is the same? Will need to check the part #s
        Wouldn't a dealership take me to the cleaners?

Comment

You didn't understand Take the bike on truck or trailer to the dealer Take the stator cover off before hand & just have the dealer mechanic remove the rotor a 10 minute operation at most OR maybe borrow the tool for 10 minutes

Comment

Oh okay, thanks for the tip!

Comment

I had to pull mine on more than one occasion and didnt need anything more than basic mechanical skill!

The only special tools are an impact driver to take the engine case off and either a slide hammer or a screwdriver and a 4lb lump hammer to convince the magneto to come off..

If you dont have a slide hammer then do this...
              Slacken the main nut a couple of threads and wedge the screwdriver into a levering position on the magneto. Give the nut a good *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ with the lump hammer and the magento should slide up the shaft those precious mm's before resting at the bolt.. Now pull the bolt and the magneto with starter clutch should fall into your hands with no effort!

CJ

Comment

Originally posted by crayonjota
                I had to pull mine on more than one occasion and didnt need anything more than basic mechanical skill!

The only special tools are an impact driver to take the engine case off and either a slide hammer or a screwdriver and a 4lb lump hammer to convince the magneto to come off..

If you dont have a slide hammer then do this...
                Slacken the main nut a couple of threads and wedge the screwdriver into a levering position on the magneto. Give the nut a good #### with the lump hammer and the magento should slide up the shaft those precious mm's before resting at the bolt.. Now pull the bolt and the magneto with starter clutch should fall into your hands with no effort!

CJ
                If you use this methoud you do so at your own risk

Comment

I need to take a look at the starter clutch on my GS thou. It's making some nasty noises. Will wait until the next oil change. Is there an internal thread on the rotor, and if so what size is it? I remember on my old 2 stroke twins and triples, there was an internal thread on the rotor. You simply removed the back wheel spindle and screwed it into the rotor until it popped. No need for special pullers.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
                    I need to take a look at the starter clutch on my GS thou. It's making some nasty noises. Will wait until the next oil change. Is there an internal thread on the rotor, and if so what size is it? I remember on my old 2 stroke twins and triples, there was an internal thread on the rotor. You simply removed the back wheel spindle and screwed it into the rotor until it popped. No need for special pullers.
                    Guy, you will no doubt have have the luck of the Irish and your spindle will fit. My Haynes maual sugested this, and I dutifully pulled the back wheel and took the spindle and offered it to the magneto.. Not even close! I ended up using a bearing puller to pull it off the shaft, and to be fair it came of with ease. CJ

Comment

Won't be touching it till I've clocked up a few more miles anyway. It's only done 300 miles since I put in the wiseco 1085 pistons, and I've just done the first oil and filter change. What a difference in torque! Dumping the oil again at 1000 miles. Weather's a bit cold for pleasure riding at the moment

Comment

Working...
                      X