530 Conversion, Spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

530 Conversion, Spacer

Ok, I know I need a 6mm spacer if I'm doing the 530 conversion on my '82 GS1100. The question is, where does it go, between the motor and the sprocket, or the sprocket and the nut?
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Just did mine last week, I put it between the motor and the sprocket. It appears to ness to replace the space caused by the rubber mount bushing that is intergrated into the stock front sprocket.

Luck
    Derrick

Comment

Between the motor and the sprocket.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. But under further examination it appears it should go between the sprocket and nut. If you notice, the stock spacer doesn't butt up against the damper, but sits against the sprocket. The space that has to be taken up is on the nut side as the output shaft splines are now too long to allow the nut to butt up against the sprocket. If you put the spacer between the motor and the sprocket, the sprocket is going to sit too far out.
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Arrrgghhhh...
          Just went out and took a hard look at my stock sprocket and you are right. the backside of the damper is recessed to accomadate the shaft.
          Good thiing I have been doing the jetting dance, and have not ridden more than a couple of miles since I did the conversion.
          Now I have to pull the front sprocket off again.

Thanks for the heads up,

Derrick

Comment

On my 1150 it went between the sprocket and the nut
            Dink

Comment

Working...
            X