Vapor from the valve cover....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vapor from the valve cover....

Basically when I opened my valve cover to add some oil and I noticed that there was some vapor coming out of the fill hole. So I basically hoped that since it was cold out, the warm air coming from inside the engine was hitting the cool air and condensing making it visible. But today I checked it again and alas more vapor(it was above freezing today). I took a good whiff of it and its tough to say what the source is(it just smells like engine). So what can cause vapor inside the valve covers in an engine(liquid cooled)?. My thoughts on this are burnning oil, and burning/evaporating coolant. It would seem to me that if it were coolant then that is bad, bad, bad head gasket replacing time. Also if its burning oil then thats bad, bad, bad as well and could be a number of things. The oil pressure is good according to the idiot lights which aren't on. No excessive noise besides the water pump which I believe to be a totally different story. Its not running hot and doesn't seem to be using oil excessively although until recently I haven't kept all that close of an eye on it, same with coolant. Shame on me. I just checked it again tonight after an 8 mile trip to get gas and back and the vapor is much less prevalent. I had also driven it about 3 miles and back to the grocery store earlier this evening and it was still warm when I started on the gas trip. Generally the only other time I've noticed it was after short trips <5 miles(trip home from work) Perhaps the vapor would stop if I run it long enough. By the way its a 95 buick century with 113k on the clock. Good old 3.1 Liter GM engine.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

A little vapor is normal, short trips are hard on an engine because it does not get hot enough to burn off the condensation

Comment

Thats right a little vapor is normal, generally the complaint I used to see most when a head gasket would start to go on the 3.1l was a cylinder not firing for the first few minutes after start up.

Comment

Shouldn't this be in the 'Off Topic' section?

Just curious as to what a 3.1L engine in a Buick Century has to do with motorcycles?

Comment

Working...
        X