Tires-radial vs non-radial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires-radial vs non-radial

What is the distiction as to when you can and cannot use a radial tire?

I always ordered tires by size and stuck with the same model and brands for years so I never gave it much thought.

Do they not fit our older rims?

Thanks
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

radial tires of the same size as bias ply tires require a wider rim to keep the sidewalls straighter. Generally you'll need at least a 3" wide rim to run radials, but the latest 160 rear radials will require a 4 1/2"+ rim width. 180 rear tires require a 5" to 5 1/2" rim.

Comment

You probably won't find radials sized for our bikes. Radials for bikes weren't around when our bikes were designed. Newer bikes were designed with radial technology in mind, hence the wider wheels. The only way to use radials on our bikes is to replace front ends and swingarms to allow wider wheels necessary for radials.

Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

You might want to look around though because I know that6 on the Sag/Mag site there have been quite a few people that have had good luck in fitting radials to Honda V-65 Sabres. The front was a 110/90-18 and the rear was a 130/90-17. An exact replacement isn't available but people have had good luck with Front: Dunlop D205 110/80/zr18 and a Rear: 140/80/zr17 there may be something similar that will work on at least some of the GSs.

Comment

One of my GS 1150's & my Honda CB 1100 F are fitted with radials, & I'm still trying to find any differences in them & the bias ply tires. I have Metzler ME Z 1's & ME Z 2's. Unlike automotible radials, they don't seem to grip any better, they don't last any longer, the sidewalls are just as stiff as the bias ply sidewalls, & prices aren't much different than an equal bias ply. Metzler has discontinued my sizes. so I'm fix'n to try a set of Dunlap 205's. Got the pair for less than $200, including shipping from mawonline.com. Didn't find stock sizes, but one size wider on both ends.

Comment

I've had great luck with the Dunlop 205 on the back of my 1150, but that's with the 3.5 inch wheel, not sure how it would work on a 3 inch wheel

Comment

The 205 rear seems to fit the 3'' rim fairly well on the wifes 1150. The profile seems much flatter than the bias Pirelli Dragon 140/80/17. The Pirelli definetely needs the 3.5'' rim but the Dunlop looks like contact could be made to the edge if the stator/peg/ or kickstand hinge don't touch first, but probably will.

As far as ride comfort goes, I found a noticable difference between bias rears and radials. The bias is harsh. The radial soaked up the bumps noticably more. The grip is equal though between the old MEZ2 and the Dragon. The Dragon probably has better compounds than the MEZ2 did or is the replacement for it.

Thinkin about trying the 110/16 205 for the front to compliment the rear as the MEZ2 is about done.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
              X