The old spongy GS1100 brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The old spongy GS1100 brakes

guys i just put my aussy model gsx1100ez 1982 model bike back on the road, the usual stuck valves and stuff, new tyres, rubbers for the koni shocks, new battery, pilot jets blocked, rust in the fuel tank...and now i am riding it again, but i notice the brakes are now not up to what they were like 15 yrs ago, i have read all the brake tips and am now examining the seals and stuff, there seems to be a mild leak down at the front antidive seals, so i will strip em down...i was wondering what do you ask for from the bike shop? do you ask for a brake seal replacement kit? or do you have to take out the offending o ring and go to an o ring shop?.any help appreciated

Ice

I have been told you cannot buy just seals for the anti-dive units, you're going to have to buy the whole units, if still available.

Remember, this is just what I've heard from a non Suzuki shop here in Canada, so it may not be true.
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I just recently had my anti-dive units apart. The seal between the brake fluid and fork oil is seperated by a plunger with a seal pressed in around it. I didn't seem removeable/replaceable, because if it was, I would have taken it apart for fun/cleaning. If they are faulty, your best approach is: 1. get some new or used anti-dive units, 2. remove the anti-dives and plate over where they were and blot off the line at the caliper, 3. take off the anti-dives and fill the area with the plunger with JB weld or something. It won't function anymore, but will retain the original look.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Also add changing your lines to your to-do list. Preferably stainless braided. They make a world of difference.

Comment

the anti dive system was well known for causing a spongy brake lever.
          they also noted that eliminating the anti dive improved the brake lever feel with no change to fork dive under braking.
          they were never a popular item, with ones that actualy worked at prevented fork dive, they made the ride very harsh and skiddish going into a bumpy corner on the brakes.

Comment

Remove the double banjo bolt from the caliper and the single banjo bolt from the anti-dive unit, throw connecting hose over shoulder, fit single banjo bolt to caliper, and double to antidive unit. Bled brakes, fully flush them just for fun .
            Dink

Comment

Working...
            X