Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

repair insulation on stator and install new electrex RR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

repair insulation on stator and install new electrex RR?

New owner here, picking up a '78 GS550. It seems the stator insulation is probably a bit iffy (charges fine until > 6k rpm at which point the voltage starts dropping from 14.5 down into the mid 13's).

If I were to replace the RR with an electrex (in theory removing the cause of the problem) would is be feasable to try to beef up/repair the insulation on the stock stator?

Tried searching, but the numer of returns is a bit excessive ;-)

I don't think there are many 'upgrades' you can do to the stock charging system except replace them. I'm going through the same pains on my GS right now, and with both of the charging system parts being original, I may not see fruit until their gone.

A Suzuki (maybe Clymers) repair manual has a walk-through on how to check out your charging system. Remember since you have a seperate regulator and rectifier you can't use the stator papers on this page.

There is however, lots of info from others.

~Adam

Comment

The 78 has seperate Reg? Cool, that may actually make things easier..

My basic concern is should I bother trying to fix up the existing stator (assuming that's the problem).

Once I get it home, I'll be doing a complete charging system test... (and ignition..etc). The bike runs pretty good as it is, but this will be my girlfriends bike and she's still gotta get permit, take MSF.. and of course the weather here in Ohio will give me some time.

Comment

with the seperate reg you have two choices-- replace it with a combo reg/rect or replace the reg unit Early Honda Gwings used a seperate regulator also if you can't find one

Comment

Actually, if my voltage regulator was working properly, the R&R I bought the CRC2 (www.usedmotorcycleparts.com) would have worked as a replacement rectifier only. The wire connections are identical to the original.

If you take a look at this post here, Earl and I have been hammering through the fix on my bike. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=30669

~Adam

Comment

I noticed you got a Ricks.. the Cavalcade folks had a slew of problems with Ricks RR's and Stators.. and pretty much everybody is using Electrex (including me when I had to replace mine)

I'll be interested to see how it works out.

Comment

Working...
            X