Front Master Cylinder-GS1100 1981 - Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Master Cylinder-GS1100 1981 - Options

As I stated in my recent post , I haven't been able to take the piston out of the master cylinder. I have submerged it in RUSTECO and liquid wrench, and managed to take out a washer and a rubber part , but the piston seems to be practically part of the master cylinder. Can I use another's byke model /make master cylinder? A universal one?
    Please help me .
    Thanks

from my recent change of mastercyclinder research, I think you can easily change it out with another, what you have to keep track of is 1.) the orientation of the fluid reservoir, ie horizontal, slightly slanted, remote, etc 2.) the bore of the piston, which on most cylinders is stamped in the casing, usually on the underside or backside. some of the most common ones I've seen are 14mm, 5/8" and 1/2". I would hazard the guess that you have a 5/8" as that was what mine was on an '81 GS650G?
    handlebar size is 7/8" I believe too!

good luck!

Comment

I think the reservoirs are slightly tilted on the "L" models & the "ES" models. Any other GS 550, or larger, that came with dual front brakes should bolt right on & work perfect

Comment

Tried for 2 days to get that piston out of the master cylinder(I'm very patient)did everything you did.
        Got it in the end.
        Placed the cylinder open end over a hole on a thick piece of wood, bashed it hard 4 times with a plastic mallet, it just popped out.
        Rebuilt the cylinder, and it work's great!

Comment

Working...
        X