Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seal replacement 'secrets'

Hello all,

I am going to replace my fork seals soon (left one leaking) and was wondering if anyone had any 'secrets or tricks' that may help from removal to installation. I have a Clymer manual but first hand knowledge is always better.

1980 GS750E.

Thanks,

Scud

I take the old seals out with a tire iron and drive the new ones in using the old seal, of course new fork oil and a good time to paint or polish the forks, check the wheel bearings, disc's etc. Did my girlfriends seals last weekend, took me about 2 hours I think, including making the tool to hold the inner fork part. Just a 55 cm long piece of 12 mm threaded rod with 2 times 2 19 mm nuts tightened against each other on either end.

My forks are next *sigh*

Good luck!

Comment

Robin,

Thanks for the reply! Do you use the two 19mm nuts that are tightenend against each other to loosen the halves instead of the allen screw? Sorry, I get confused easily.. 8O

I was also curious as to the SIZE of the Allen screw (8,9,10mm,etc.) that holds the two halves together, anybody know this one? I was going to go purchase one (allen socket) to have for future fork jobs

Scud

Comment

Originally posted by Scud
        Robin,

Thanks for the reply! Do you use the two 19mm nuts that are tightenend against each other to loosen the halves instead of the allen screw? Sorry, I get confused easily.. 8O

I was also curious as to the SIZE of the Allen screw (8,9,10mm,etc.) that holds the two halves together, anybody know this one? I was going to go purchase one (allen socket) to have for future fork jobs

Scud
        Depending of you have to get them loose or back in I either use the special tool or the Allen bolt, if you can put a bit of a weld on the nuts and rod to keep them from loosening up.

The size of the Allen bolt was 8 mm I believe, forks are back together now so not easy to check, get a set of Allen tools, they are handy.

Comment

Will do and thanks again.

Scud

Comment

Oh, sorry ... I was going to refer you to the closest "Sea World." Figured they'd know the secret to replacing lost seals!!

Steve 8)

Comment

Very good!!!!

Scud

Comment

Well...it took me alittle over five hours to do both forks, the hardest part was getting the two halves apart once the allen screw was removed. I had to place in a vice a tug and smack them until they gave, after that it was fairly easy.

Thanks for all the advice, especially planecrazy...Sea World.... =D>

Scud

Comment

Lord, I remember the first time I did fork seals...what a nightmare to remove them.

Torch them out...rubber melts before metal, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Scud
                    Thanks for all the advice, especially planecrazy...Sea World.... =D>

Scud
                    Well, you just never know when people will misinterpret and give you all sorts of advice that has nothing to do with the heartbreak of losing a seal! Glad I could help!!

Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
                    X