Sylvania Silver Star Help ASAP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sylvania Silver Star Help ASAP!!!!

Guys I need my bike back on the road by fri for a camping trip. Lastnight the low beam blew and I don't like running just the high. I want to go silver star sealed beam (can't afford to go H4 yet) and I see several other have done it, but I need the bulb number for the motorcycle 5 & ?? " headlight. I know the car's pattern is different so does anyone have the motorcycle P/N handy so my guy at advance can order it??? If not I am gonna have to shell out an arm and a leg at the dealer :-(

Thanks ya'll!!

Oh BTW, the old bulb said 12v 40W. Is that 40 W high or low beam? Will a silver star be drawing to much current from my little 450?

H4 SilverStar Headlight
    High Performance Halogen Headlight - Dual filament for both high beam and low beam - For Motorcycle Use - part number: H4ST

Comment

I thought I saw someone used a sealed beam I wasn't really wanting to go to H4 quite yet, thanks though.

Comment

Sorry - I overlooked "sealed". Sylvania does sell sealed beams but it looks like their for cars only. If I remember correctly, Emgo sells H4 conversion kits if that helps.

Comment

I saw several ads for H-4 headlight assemblys with buy it now prices under $20usd
          do a E-bay search in motorcycle parts for "HELLA"

I just got a 7" hella, German spec (non DOT) motorcycle headlight (has a parking light in it) given to me!!!

Comment

Thanks guys I guess I will go H4 (hope my little 450 can handle the jump to 55/60w from 40/45w!!! ). All my riding this weekend will be in the day so I guess riding on just highbeam won't kill me for now.

Comment

I have a SilverStar sealed beam in my 850. Bought it off the shelf at Discount Auto. Seems to illuminate ok for me. A lot brighter than what I had previously.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

So this light will work right? It doesn't say anything about made for a car or motorcycle and I will swap the lamp that comes with it for a Silver star ST. I am just leary about this because I don't want to buy it and then end up with a light that is half what I am expecting. Do I need to change plugs or anything or is that usually included in the kits??

Thanks Guys

Comment

if the one in the picture is the right size it should work fine, the only thing that worries me a bit is that your bike originaly came with a sealed beam headlight (very dim) and the mounting system is differant from bikes that came with the H-4 light standard.
                  then again, the H-4 light mounting flange is just like a regular sealed beam so it should be fine as long as the light you are getting is the same diameter.
                  the H-4 bulb use three flat blade terminals that are aranged in the basic shape of a C just like the sealed beam.

you migh want to brace yourself for the shock at being able to finaly see where you are going, as it will definatly be a night and day differance!

if that is the bulb it comes with, then you don't need to get a silver star bulb just yet, as that plasma white bulb is what the silver star is.
                  keep in mind that the ultra white bulbs do tend to have a relativly short life span do to them running hotter than normal halogen bulbs.

Comment

Well actually the bike shop I go to gave me a real good price on a lense for the H-4 conversion and the lense is a motorcycle specific (supposedly) lense as well. So now I just need to get the bulb and I will be in buisness tuesday when the lense comes in!

Comment

WesV!!!!

Sylvania makes sealed beam Silver Stars. I just put one in my Vetter faring last summer. I got it at Pep Boys and it was $20. It is the H6024. It's just as bright as the Silver Star H4 setup that goes on my bike when the fairing is off. (55/65W) The only convenience of upgrading to H4 is that you can store an extra bulb on your person or bike. Otherwise, the sealed beam and the H4 replacement bulb cost the same.

SYLVANIA is the leading automotive lighting supplier, providing high performance lighting products. Use our bulb replacement guide to find the right bulb that fits your vehicle.

-jon
                      16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                      13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                      78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                      Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                      02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                      12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                      82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Originally posted by jonr
                        WesV!!!!

Sylvania makes sealed beam Silver Stars. I just put one in my Vetter faring last summer. I got it at Pep Boys and it was $20. It is the H6024. It's just as bright as the Silver Star H4 setup that goes on my bike when the fairing is off. (55/65W) The only convenience of upgrading to H4 is that you can store an extra bulb on your person or bike. Otherwise, the sealed beam and the H4 replacement bulb cost the same.

SYLVANIA is the leading automotive lighting supplier, providing high performance lighting products. Use our bulb replacement guide to find the right bulb that fits your vehicle.

-jon
                        That is a 7" though isn't it??? My bike has the 5 3/4 bulb. I saw that in advance auto parts already :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by WesV
                          WesV!!!!

-jon
                          That is a 7" though isn't it??? My bike has the 5 3/4 bulb. I saw that in advance auto parts already :roll:
                          Ahhhh, the 5.75 makes a huge difference. I did not know that old Suzukis ever used 5.75" headlight. Sounds like your plan for the H4 conversion is the way to go. Sorry for the confusion!

History book:
                          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

WesV!!!!

-jon

Ahhhh, the 5.75 makes a huge difference. I did not know that old Suzukis ever used 5.75" headlight. Sounds like your plan for the H4 conversion is the way to go. Sorry for the confusion!
                            Suzuki used the 5.75 on the little guys and the L's

Comment

Thanks guys I guess I will go H4 (hope my little 450 can handle the jump to 55/60w from 40/45w!!! ). All my riding this weekend will be in the day so I guess riding on just highbeam won't kill me for now.
                              WesV,

You're talking about a 1.5A increase with the new headlight. I'm sure your bike can handle it.

-J

History book:
                              12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                              82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
                              X