Leaky Headgasket after motor rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky Headgasket after motor rebuild

Hey all. I have finished my massive engine overhaul. I dumped gas in her and she fired right up. I immediately started blowing oil out of the head gasket. I decked the head and jugs as part of the rebuild. I did install the rectangular camshaft gasket between the head & jugs. I ran the bike long enough to let it heat up hoping it would seal up. It never did. Any ideas?

What did you use for a gasket? If it's Suzuki OEM, it should only be torqued to about 8 foot lbs.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

What engine ? maybe a missing oil passage O ring on the head

Comment

Its a '78 750E. I used a versah gasket kit and torqued the head as per the spec in my Hanes manual. (Can't remember what it was off of the top of my head....i want to say around 25 ft#'s) What are the oil passage o-ring's in the head?

Comment

There is an O ring for the cam chain tunnel ?? Torque is 27 ft lbs as I remember. Where is it leaking from ? CAM cover is 8 ft lbs

Comment

Hello, If your head gasket was a metal one the rubber rectangular gasket is not to be used. The metal head gasket has a heat activated sealant applied to it from the factory. Once you bring it up to temperature its sealed until you have to pull it apart. Like I said this only applies if the head gasket you used was a metal one.

Comment

Working...
            X