1978 GS400 Tub seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS400 Tub seal

this 78 gs400 is a old engine indeed but it seems to carry the characteristics of even the newer bikes , that is why i decided to rebuild it all....now you know the base gasket for the cylinder tub, it isnt exactly smooth and straight because i used the wrong pad to take off the gasket on the base i used a light sand paper pad which must have been the fu**in stupidist thing i have done. the engine is together now except for the top end i was rebuilding it once again...now i have the new gasket kit and all the o rings sitting here and what am i supposed to do ....before i used a little gasket glue to fill in the lines from the sanding and the dips since its not flat but its no good cause it will block the oil passages i could do the same thing but just let it dry before setting the tub down...someone had said i could use a flat piece of glass with sand paper taped on to smooth it out but then i will have to tear down the whole engine again because the crank rods and studs are all in the way...i am stumped what would you do in my case?...i was thinking if i evenly spread that copper silacone glue over so it will fill in the lower spots then let it dry the gasket would have a flat area to rest on right?...i am stuck could somone please give me some advice??

I don't know if it would work You could try JB weld to fill it in

Comment

Pull it off and have it planed by a machine shop. There is no point to rebuilding a motor and not have it be right when you are done. Spending $500 and ending up with garbage is much worse than spending $2000 and having it perfect for the next 70k miles.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

one quick question in the clymers manual it says that if your going to open up the crankcase halfs you have to rest it on its top and lift off the bottom case, could i set it on the bottom like it is and just lift it off the top so all the components inside will stay put, since i need to smooth out the seal on the top half???/

Comment

Working...
        X