Shifter Shaft help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter Shaft help!

Recently purchased a 1980 GS 850G. Overall, a bike in decent shape. The one problem is that the shaft the shifter connects to has broken off. The only part left is the innermost splined part. The person I got it from tried welding it on and that did not work well.. Given I am new and don't have a maunual yet (one is on the way), I have a couple of questions:

1. What is involved in getting the old shifter shaft out? Is it a royal pain? I found a person that has a good used one for cheap. Just don't want to have to pull the whole engine or spilt the cases etc.

2. IF it is a gaint pain, anyone found a decent solution by fabricating something?

Thanks,

Buc

You should be able to do it without removing the motor. You will have to remove the clutch assembly to access the gear shift shaft. Make sure to
    smouth the end that was welded

Comment

its pretty simple to remove it, im guessing the clutch cover is off where the shifter sticks out , the other side cover needs to come off and when u disasemble all of the shifting parts it should slide right out.......when i bought mine it was bent from a wipe out i got it out it wasnt easy since it was bent i grinded off the shifter piece on the end and i use a micrometer and a lath to fabricate an exact piece... i then welded the shifter back on the end wire wheeled it clean lubricated it with grease assembled it and i was back in bussness i also ran up and down with a light sand paper to make it smooth since it was cut down with a lath

Comment

Shifter Shaft help!

Thanks for the help guys.

I found a used shifter shaft off Ebay for $ 10.00.
        Read the manual (Haynes). Popped the clutch cover off.
        Pulled the shifter shaft away from the gear selector and noticed
        that it would almost come out without removing the clutch if it
        weren't for the part of the case where the kick start used to be.

Hmm..... let's see.... Paid $ 200 for this bike.

Decided that if I were to gently remove part of the kick start boss I
        could change shifter shafts without removing the clutch. Placed a rag
        under the kickstart boss, broke out my hammer and chisel. Whack,
        Whack, and now the shifter shaft comes out. Replaced with the Ebay
        shifter shaft.

I know the pursists may faint..... But it worked, I am lazy, and it is not a conscourse show winner anyway!

Later,

BUC

Comment

Working...
        X