Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Stuck

Hi
    I recently bought a 1981 GS450S. Its been sitting around for a long time but was still running when I got it. I have replaced and repaired all the various bits and pieces that needed so and I took the tank and fairings off and gave them a lick of paint. When I put the bike back together and took it for a test run it wouldnt go over about 40Kms per hour. The gears were changing just fine but the bike (throttle) wasnt giving me any power. I left it sit for the day while I went to work and this morning the bike wont start without the choke set on half to full and whenever I grab the throttle it koncks out .. also if I lower the choke under 1/2 way it conks out as well. I am pretty new to restoring bikes and i have a limited knowledge of throttle and carbs. If anyone can tell me what the hell I have done to it and how to fix it .. I would greatly appreciate it
    Mark

Did it run better BEFORE you replaced all the missing things?

If NOT, then sounds like the Carbs need a going thru. Even so, if it's been sitting for a long time - go thru the carbs. You'll be surprised at how many problems that fixes. 8)

Comment

Sounds like the carbs may be gunked up. Just a guess.

Take them off and give 'em a cleaning. Even a soak in paraffin (kerosene) might do the job if you're not familiar with taking carbs apart.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the help so far guys. Tp answer your question it was running ok before I pulled the tank off. I had gotten it up to 80kms/hr but it was backfiring here and there. The work I did for it was, There was no front master cylinder or brake lever so I put one off a 91 GSX750F and they are working well. I put mirrors on it .. used some muffler seal over a couple of small holes in the mufflers. took 2 links out of the chain (going to put a new one on when I get it running) repainted the bike (Thats where I took off the tank and other guards. I marked the hoses with tape so I would be able to get them back in the right spots. put a new rev cable in (but the tacho doesnt work still), degreased the engine and gave it a general clean up. Thats all I can remember now 8) I bought the biek for $200.00 AU dollars so I am not complaining that there is work to do. I was wrapped when I found the website. Out of interested we painted it black and put a check pattern across the top of the tank and fairing .. looks pretty groovy .. will have some pics of it in the near future 8)

Comment

When a bike's been sitting for a while, it's not unusual for it to start and run ok.
          But then the crap in the carby's starts floating around and blocking up jets,etc.
          You could have other prob's ,check spark,air cleaner, battery and so on.
          Either way you will need to strip the carb's and give them a good clean,It's not hard ,you would be suprised how few parts are in there.
          Need advice, just ask.

Comment

if it was backfiring at speeds of 80kmh, I would say that your carbs need some cleaning. Also, make sure that the screw settings are aligned properly. (usually between 1.5 and 2 turns out.)

it cant hurt, at this point

poot

Comment

Thanks again

Hey there
              Thanks I think I will have to bite the bullet and give it a go ... I will let you know if it works out 8) .. One thing I have noticed is I am now getting it to turn over and even run for a little while but it keeps dropping out after some time. like its being starved of fuel .. which I guess proves what you gusy were saying ...

Comment

Got it going

Hey after I emailed here I noticed one of the starters (I assume thats what they are) was hot and the other wasnt. I cleaned it off using some good ol WD40 and then put the bike back together. It wanted to go I could tell .. I reached under and adjusted the idle up a heap and away she went .. took it out for a run and popped it into 100kms on 4th gear. When I came back the idle was a little high but all went well other than that and when the bike first took off, it bucked and jumped about a bit .. I assume the crap coming through the carbs .. I will pull them out and attempt a full work on them next weekend 8) .. I might as well do it right .. The bike is running well now other than its rough which I put down to the carbs and the steering bearings are in obvious need of replacement. Thanks guys .. ,much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                X