Brake Light Switch Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Light Switch Not Working

The brake light switch for the front brake on my GS is not working. Has anyone had a similar problem? What can I do? The Haynes manual has one "possible" fix but I don't really understand what they want me to do and they don't seem very optimistic anyway. Can anyone help me? Thank You very much. Kelly

Just go down to your local parts house and get a new one. About 13.00, and easy to replace. if you want to try and fix your old one, it wont usually last long, but you can remove the 2 screws-be ready to catch small parts--a spring, a copper 'u' shaped thingy, and a black plastic piece. clean the copper piece, and the 2 copper strips on the harness block, and put it all back together. good luck..

Comment

it's not that hard Just loosen the brake assembly and turn it alittle so that it is easier to get to. Just make sure that you put it back together the plastic piece has a oblong piece that the brake lever moves if you put it in 90 deg out it will not work properly. You may have to bleed front brake if you turn brake unit up too much

Comment

easy to fix..

I had the same thing happen to me. The little plastic contact thinger inside the handle actually broke so I just bought a new one and put it in. That should be your problem. Have you taken the switch apart yet to confirm it?
        Shaun

Comment

Same here: I replaced the switch last year because the metal spring had broken. The dealer had it in stock for about $12,=. If you want to check the switch, just take out the two screws on the bottom of the handle. Be sure to keep something underneath the handle to catch all the (springloaded) parts jumping out. Short-circuit the switch and check if the lbrake-light is on. Is it does lit, the problem is in the switch.

When the spring is not broken, you may want to try to solev it by cleaning the two contact-strips. These may be corroded. Just rub it with scotchbrite or sandpaper and put the thing back together again.

Assembly of the new set is pretty self-explainatory, although its the weirdest switch i've ever seen.

Comment

Just get a new one. Those little parts are a hassle, and they usually don't last long anyway. I had mine replaced 3 years ago when I bought the GK in order for it to pass inspection. In my experience, this switch lasts me from 3 to 5 years, after which time I just replace it.

Nick

Comment

Working...
            X