Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for new coils and wires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for new coils and wires.

After days of troubleshooting my '82 1100EZ I finally found out that a plug wire was arcing to the coil mount. (Turned out the lights in my garage and fired her up and there it was...). Anyway the coils and wires are 19 years old and I figure I might as well spring for a new set of coils as well. So what do I need as far as coils go (ohm rating and all) and what has been working good for any one out there that's done the same replacement.
    Thanks for any help.

you'll want the 3.0 ohm primary coils....I use the DC1-1 Dynas..

Comment

I bought the same ones, they are a better price here

1982 GS1000S Katana
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

Along the same train of thought. Will a set of coils off of a gs1150 work on a gs1100e? With the Dyna coils. Can you still use the stock ignition?

Thanks,
        Stiksave

Comment

Re: Recommendations for new coils and wires.

Originally posted by Jeff Tate
          After days of troubleshooting my '82 1100EZ I finally found out that a plug wire was arcing to the coil mount. (Turned out the lights in my garage and fired her up and there it was...). Anyway the coils and wires are 19 years old and I figure I might as well spring for a new set of coils as well. So what do I need as far as coils go (ohm rating and all) and what has been working good for any one out there that's done the same replacement.
          Thanks for any help.
          Loking to do this myself, I have other bikes with Dyna coils, after much searching I found a great price on Dyna coils,Green,two post,3 Ohm at
          https://www.legendmcs.com/Electrical...ion/coils.html 98$ for a pair, 50 bucks cheaper than from Dyna corp themselves and 10 to 30$ cheaper than any where elese I could find on the net.. The sites called American legand Motorcycles, I would think your looking for the part #09-423 which is a dyna coils DC1, theres a lot of coils on that web site but the Dyna coils are there,at a great price.

Comment

hey do these coils look bad http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...X/appId-234193

Comment

Originally posted by stiksave
              Along the same train of thought. Will a set of coils off of a gs1150 work on a gs1100e? With the Dyna coils. Can you still use the stock ignition?

Thanks,
              Stiksave
              yes, and yes

Comment

Thanks to all. Lots'a good leads.

Comment

another set of coils cheap

Comment

Try pulling out the wires.

Try ripping out the wires. Thier are two models of coils on these GS bikes. Both have the wires glued in. One type has the wire lead directly into the coil and cannot be fixed. The other type has a nail like pin inside the coil to recieve the wire.

If you have the pin type you are in luck. Chip of some of the glue holding the wire on. Twist and pull till the wire pops out. If you find the pin inside and not a wire that you ripped appart you can put new wires on. If some of the insulation is still in the socket you can remove it SLOWLY with a 1/4 drill bit. Don't drill too fast, and don't drill down to the pin. Just twist and pull at the same time.

Next get some 7mm solid core wire in a 6 ft roll for 2.99 from Den Kirk.
                    Also get some VB05F + SB05F NGK resistor caps. Your old caps have burnt resistors, and need to go anyway.

You can also remove the wire covers from your old wires and slip them on the new wires that you have cut to length.

All this sounds like alot of work, but Your old coils are probably fine and will be for a good long time.

It is nice to have some new DYNA's if thats what you are into, but I was happy to find that my old coils could be fixed.

If you find that you have ripped out the wires of the non pin type.... Throw them out and get some GSX'r or Bandit coils. They are the same replacement coils that the dealer will sell you for you'r old GS.

Putting new wire on them is even easier than your old coils. Just try not to snap the fragile wire clips.

Comment

another set of coils cheap

I can always use the fan blade to mix paint. LOL

stiksave

Comment

Originally posted by pano
                        I bought the same ones, they are a better price here

http://www.starracing.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=DI
                        Even cheaper on Ebay. I paid $102 including shipping a couple of months ago, and I've seen those same new DC1-1 coil pairs sell on Ebay for a few dollars less than that since.

Comment

I should have mentioned that the coils I have now were made by Andrews which were pretty popular back in the day and I had a set of Accel wires plugged into them. When I checked the connections at the coil, one of the wires just fell out... rotten. Not bad for 19 years of service though huh? I was just wondering if anyone had good experiences with anything new on the market. In any case I think I'll go with a new set of Dyna coils and Accel wires again. I really appreciate all the responses and sound advice, thanks again.

Comment

Invest in the Dyna coils, they're awesome. That's all I can say.

Comment

Re: Recommendations for new coils and wires.

Originally posted by Jackrp
                              Looking to do this myself, I have other bikes with Dyna coils, after much searching I found a great price on Dyna coils,Green,two post,3 Ohm at
                              https://www.legendmcs.com/Electrical...ion/coils.html 98$ for a pair, 50 bucks cheaper than from Dyna corp themselves and 10 to 30$ cheaper than any where elese I could find on the net.. The sites called American legand Motorcycles, I would think your looking for the part #09-423 which is a dyna coils DC1, theres a lot of coils on that web site but the Dyna coils are there,at a great price.
                              Jackrp

Thanks for the cheap lead for the Dyna coils. These were on my shopping list for this year's upgrades and I've never seen them cheaper than $110 from a retail outlet. I was nervous about doing ebay since you usually have no recourse for returns on electrical stuff.

cheers
                              Jon
                              16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                              13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                              78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                              Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                              02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                              12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                              82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
                              X