Will regular O rings work in carb ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm rebuilding the carbs on my 79 GS 1000 L. I noticed the O rings in the idle screw appears to be flat sided. Is this from wear or are they made this way? Can I substitute regular "donut" looking O rings or have to use OEM ones. Where can I find some of them also???
    Thanx,
    ..TJ...

Re: Will regular O rings work in carb ?

Originally posted by TJ
    I'm rebuilding the carbs on my 79 GS 1000 L. I noticed the O rings in the idle screw appears to be flat sided. Is this from wear or are they made this way? Can I substitute regular "donut" looking O rings or have to use OEM ones. Where can I find some of them also???
    Thanx,
    ..TJ...
    I have used the orings I have found at a good auto parts store, they are usually gas proof.

Comment

Try these from Robert Barr. I just got mine in yesterday for my carb rebuild undertaking that I am about to do. it is THE place to get all you need, and ships very quick. He is well recommended on this forum.

Comment

The very small O rings will be hard to find get them from robert

Comment

Another vote to get them from Robert. He ships quickly, it's a complete set, and they are well labeled so you know where each one goes.

Comment

I'm also about to pick up a set from robert. he seems to be quite the popular person around these parts!

Comment

You must use o-rings specifically for gasoline applications. The ones at a hardware store aren't always petro-proof and can cause a disaster in your carbs.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have used regular(black)O rings in my carbs for around the float valve seats w/good results.It's going on 4 yrs. now w/no problems.As I recall I took my old ones with me for size comparision & there was not an exact match,so I bought some a size smaller & a size larger since they were only about 25 cents apiece & experimented w/the fit.They do hold up to gas but they do swell after being exposed to it.So for my application I believe I used 1 size smaller.I discovered w/experimentation that because of the swelling after being exposed to gas,if I tried removing them I could not reinstall them because of the swelling.Once you figure which size you need it's wise to buy extras for future needs.I just checked one thats been soaking in gas for about 4 yrs. now-still shows no sign of breaking down!I got mine at ace hardware because they seemed to have the biggest selection,but any hardwarestore such as home depot,lowes,ect. will have them. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                X