Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Illinois GS Owner Mechanic question

Hi,

First things first, Great site and I enjoy reading all the knowledge that is shared here.

I just purchased a 1983 GS750T Saturday. As this is my first Motorcycle I want to have a qualified individual give the bike a once over to be sure its road safe. It has only 7700 miles on it and look's well taken care of; but I want to be safe.

I live in Joliet Illinois and was wondering if anyone can reccomend a local mechanic ? I know there are dealers in the area but I dont know what to expect for this type of service question.

Any idea how much this would cost for this to get performed by a qualified individual?

A little info about me I have ridden in the past and last year I took the MSF class and received my license.

Thanks

Chris

I can reccomend about 6 local GS owners who are great to work with. They should find this post...if not, email me and I'll add you to the Chicagoland email circle...I'm still part of it, but I moved to NC.

~Adam

Comment

robert barr (sells gs-850 o-ring sets) lives in that town. I'm sure theres plenty of help nearby.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Chris! You've chosen well, Luke, and didn't go to the dark side (translation: you bought a great bike that should serve you well!). I live in Buffalo Grove, but there are several local boys who are closer to you and (I'm sure) would be glad to help you out.

As Adam (AOD) mentioned, there is also a local "Chicagoland GS" email thread that you will want to get in on. We try to ride together often during the warm season, and occasionally get together to work on our bikes, usually at Joe Nardy's place in Lombard. There are also at least three guys in your immediate area ... Skreemer, Nerobro, and Blender. If you don't hear from any of these guys in the next day or so shoot off a PM (private message) and I'm sure they'll be happy to swing by and help out with your inspection. We've all had our bikes in various states of disassembly so giving yours the "once over" shouldn't be too much trouble.

Enjoy,
        Steve 8)

Comment

Thanks for all the replys and I sent Adam an email to be added to the Chicagoland group.

Nothing worse than having a bike and the weather here in chicagland is so crappy!

Regards,

Chris

Comment

I'm right down the street from you, near Raynor & Black. I'm something of a regular here, & have had GS's since 1979. If there's something in particular you need, drop me a P.M.

R. Barr

Comment

Working...
            X