gremlins have taken over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gremlins have taken over

this is a 78 gs750ec and has developed a mysterious electrical problem when the ignition key is turned on and a meter hooked up to the starter solenoid the power goes from full power to zero there is no power in the system and when you turn the key off the power comes back when the power is down nothing functions and i have moved a ground wire from the frame to the battery neg. as my wiring diagrams show, and now i get clicking from the solenoid but no cranking, when i first tried to start the bike it cranked over i had power at the points but none at the plugs and it was running the last start aprox. 4 wks ago. What could be the problem I am lost have no idea i thought of making a complete new harness but only if necessary any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tim

P.S. have already checked the ign. switch and checked out ok

Don't just check the ground....(.checks can bounce)

You almost certainly have a bad ground. Remove the connections between the battery and the frame and clean them up well. Sand the metal clean and establish a good, clean, ground. Look at the fuse box as well, and clean up ALL connections there.

While you're in the mood, and already doing electrical cleanup, do all the connections from the Stator and Regulator . Helps to keep them working longer.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

thanks ron i certainly appreciate the info and can you tell me how accurate are the rectifier tests in the manuals because the test i ran today shows the ground on the rectifier is bad after running a continuity test. thanks again

Tim

Comment

The points ignition will draw the voltage down depending where you are checking it. Block the points open then Recheck the voltage, Disconnect the start solinoid recheck voltage?? to see if it is bad also check the run switch on the rt handle bar, check the battery

Comment

Thanks lynn have checked all switches that was the first place i went just checked out the ground today everything checks out ok i have tried jumping the two terminals on the solonoid and got nothing no spark no crank no nothing with the key on of course i then disconnected the starter and connected direct to the battery and got nothing is there the possibility that my starter quit and causing thew problem but if it is then it doesn't explain no spark at plugs and spark at points when it did crank over?????

Comment

Have you made sure your battery is good? One very common failure mode for bartteries in my bike, and a few in my cars, has been for the battery to show full voltage, but it is unable to handle a load, even just the load of turning on the ignition, and the voltage goes to zero. And, like you observe, once the load is removed, the voltage returns.

Comment

mcconnell i certaintly thank you for that input that is the one thing i never suspected and having an auto mechanic background just never thought about it probably to busy looking for bad wires and was focused on that instead of looking for the obvious,that would explain why when i jumped it with a car the car dropped considerably in rpm's like i was jumping a flat dead car battery, thanks again

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone's input and thoughts on the gremlins it turned out to be a seriously discharged battery the one thing i neglected to check because i was focusing on the harness instead of the source thanks to everyone

Comment

Working...
                X